Bongo Fury conversion advice

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Agent N
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo Fury conversion advice

Post by Agent N » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:20 am

Hi, new member here, I'm thinking of buying a Bongo and doing the conversion myself. I've got general
Diy experience but not done any vehicle diy, is it someting an amateur could attempt and if so is there a goid instruction manuel anyone can recommend .

Any comments welcome, also if I go ahead what sort of costs could I reasonably expect to incur.

Thanks in advance
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Fury conversion advice

Post by Bob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:47 am

Hi, welcome aboard. 8)

I'm not aware of a manual as such, but using the 'search' facility on here will bring up a lot of useful info. Just put 'and' between the words, eg 'self and build and conversion'.

Before commiting I would get along to as many Meets as you can and chat to owners. Look at different set ups and ask questions. The owners won't have a sales pitch and will be honest about what works for them, and what doesn't.

Make certain the Bongo is for you, we love them, but they are ageing and have their quirks. They are small as a camper, good for parking, wild camping, narrow roads, and use as an every day vehicle, but 'cosy' for a family to live in.

Once you've decided on a Bongo I'd live with it unconverted for a season before you start converting, they are a pretty good camper in 8 seater guise. We use some foam mats cut to size to flatten the seats, sleep on the fronts and middle, which leaves room for a loo and space to get changed for bed in the back.

We have a table which goes in front of the middle seat or can be fitted on the bike rack, under the tailgate for outside dinning.

Cost? Could be a couple of hundred, or thousands, just depends how far you want to go...

Hope that helps a bit. :wink:
Agent N
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Agent N » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Bob, thanks for the prompt reply, and good advice.
Much appreciated
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:36 pm

This lightweight removable and cheap to build set up has proved incredibly useful and allowed me to retain the full mpv usefulness of my Bongo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qzRJmGVMDMX5z6tv8

The top part of the unit can also be used upside down as a side unit with the offside rear seat removed as seen here (the drawer on top of it contains clothes etc and goes on the front ledge of the AFT once the roof is raised:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aUq7cgZrhueELEDH6

I also made myself a removable drawer to go under the bench seat (and move with it). Also very useful:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DtBEs1b3eJwQZ4m88

What all this has meant for me is that i'm not committed to one conversion configuration. When i took the kids camping i slept upstsairs and they downstairs, with the tailgate unit and underbench drawer set up as a useful unit in the awning as shown here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u83EkKCiXyNeXBgQA

Now i'm travelling and camping solo i have a great one person setup including portapotti and efficient toploading waeco coolbox for which a 100w solar panel on the roof provides more than enough power (and these were purchased using some of the money saved by not doing an expensive conversion).
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:52 pm

I must say I like the way Mike is thinking , have a look at slide pods and van essa web sites for more inspiration similar to what Mike is doing . They are based on the ever green VW T5/6 but good as removable camper unit ideas
Brian
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:22 pm

Hello agent n

I have a unconverted bongo which I have owned for over a year now and have used camping frequently. We initially thought about converting, toying with a tail unit then a side conversion, but the more we have used it we are of the opinion the extra space you have unconverted is better suited to our needs (girlfriend and small dog)

Like mike, I have tailored a draw that is on wheels and has two supporting legs which fits neatly under the rear seats, which holds all the essentials including saucepans, frying pan, cooker, cutlery, washing up bowl etc. The legs enable it, when pulled out to form a sturdy table for food prep and cooking. When pushed back it allows us to lay all the seats down, thus having the option to sleep either up top or below on windy days without compromising on internal space. We also have a table inside the van which is attached on a rail below the window line. I added a rail to the draw face which allows me to bring the table outside on nice days.

As for power, I fitted a leisure battery which is powered by a 60watt portable solar panel which allows me to follow the best sun angle throughout the day.
Internal lights have all been changed to LEDs. When not on electric we use a 12v cool box which my solar panel appears to cope well with

As others have mntioned check out as many owner conversions as you can and try using the van unconverted you might be surprised in how it meets your requirements unconverted.

Have fun and enjoy.
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:16 am

I assume you need a leisure battery in order for the solar panel to power the cool box at night, what with there being no sun and all? Is that right?
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:50 am

Search on Amazon brings up a few books on van conversations and YouTube has a lot of stuff.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:45 am

Cool boxes are NOT a good idea for overnight work, they just draw to much power. If you want 24/7 working then a small compressor fridge with leisure battery and EHU and/or 100 Watt Solar panel will keep you going all the time.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”