Cooker problem camping gaz

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

pollypoo2
Junior Bongonaut

Cooker problem camping gaz

Post by pollypoo2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:14 pm

I've replaced a pigtail and adaptor to connect my 907 camping gaz bottle to the regulator and opened the gas tap but no gas going to cooker. Gas bottle is half full so should be working and gas comes through pigtail but not through regulator. Any advice as to how to fix this greatly appreciated!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Cooker problem camping gaz

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:29 pm

What sort of adaptor do you have on the end of the pigtail to connect to the regulator ? Also what sort of regulator is it, most Gaz regulators are cylinder mounting not bulkhead mounting.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:58 pm

Geoff's right.

Normaly the Camping Gaz regulator screws direct onto the cylinder and a low pressure pipe runs to the appliances.

A pig tail would usualy run from the fixed regulator direct to a Calor, or similar, cylinder and deliver high pressure gas.

If you're running low pressure gas to a bulkhead mounted, second, regulator, that's likely your problem.

Edit:

This might be the kind of thing you need:

https://gasproducts.co.uk/campingaz-cyl ... KKEALw_wcB
pollypoo2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pollypoo2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Thank you for your response - the adaptor in your link is the one I have attached to the gas bottle which is then attached to the trauma 30mbr regulator in the van using a stainless steel regulator hose but when i turn everything on no gas is going to the cooker
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:02 pm

Has it worked previously ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
pollypoo2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pollypoo2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:07 pm

Not since I bought it in Oct, but that was put down to leaking adaptor. It was converted a long time ago by wellhouse leisure and purpose built locker for camping gaz so has always used it. Habitation check last week and it worked fine with their gas bottle which I think was calor gas so I've been to replace old parts for new and can't get it working. Rung habitation check guys but they can't come out for a few weeks as booked solid.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Is it a Crash Sensitive version with CS after the type ? In which case maybe it needs a reset see the FAQ on the Truma site here https://www.truma.com/uk/en/faq/reset-c ... sor-1.html
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
pollypoo2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pollypoo2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks but no reset button on mine - I have this one https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/c ... 0mm-outlet

I have looked on Truma site but can't see it
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:53 pm

If it worked on the service chap's cylinder I'd try a different one before digging/spending too much more. :wink:

And the obvious - is there an 'off' valve in the line somewhere? Possibly near or under the cooker?
pollypoo2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pollypoo2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks - I've tried 2 gas bottles and 2 adaptors and 2 hoses, also looked for a second off switch but couldn't find one. I can't access under the cooker or anywhere along the gas line as it's all boxed in with no obvious release catches. Looks like I'm off to my local repairer who I've been told is very good but also very grumpy!!

All of your help much appreciated :)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:31 pm

Looks like a little yellow valve shown on the back of the regulator in your link, right hand side. [-o<
pollypoo2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pollypoo2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Yes, that's the isolator tap that I open when the gas bottle is switched on and should allow the gas through the copper pipes to the cooker after it's gone through the reg, but I've prodded and poked every other part of it in the hope of finding a reset but had no joy...
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:37 pm

There is, or was on mine, a yellow lever on the bulkhead regulator which I presume you have checked is in the on (i.e. in the horizontal position). I had a similar problem a few years ago with my gas in a Wellhouse conversion. The gas rings would light but after a short time went out as if the cylinder was empty, which it wasn't. Turned out to be the bulkhead regulator, fitted in the gas bottle cupboard just behind the cylinder, was faulty. As a temporary measure I put a Camping Gaz regulator on the bottle, in place of the open/shut valve shown in the link given by Bob, and connected this via rubber gas hose to the gas pipe in the bottle cupboard going to the gas rings, so by-passing the bulkhead regulator ( which as g8dhe says is a crash sensitive unit). Result, gas supply restored and the kettle was soon boiling. 8 years later I decided to replace this temporary measure and refit a new bulkhead regulator, as I had some birthday money to spend. Apparently there was a problem with the bulkhead regulators going faulty because of condensation or liquid of some sort inside the hose from the gas cylinder entering the regulator.
A bit of a long winded reply I am afraid, but worth a try.

P.S. I got a replacement bulkhead regulator from a caravan dealer for about £22.00. It isn't a Truma brand but is a direct replacement......and cheaper.
Last edited by Tessie on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
pollypoo2
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pollypoo2 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:44 pm

Thats great - Thank you! If I can't get it sorted before the summer hols I might give that a try. The habitation guys were convinced there wasn't enough pressure in the camping gaz bottle despite it being used on it previously but a fault would also make sense if their high pressure calor gas worked. I've still got my camping gaz stove from my 'tenting' days so can use that in the interim too. Hopefully the outdoor cooking weather will stick around for a while!
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 pm

Just added a P.S. to my last post then noticed you had posted while I was doing it.
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”