Mains charger and diode

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

bongojoe
Bongolier

Mains charger and diode

Post by bongojoe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:28 pm

I have a Sargent Supercharger, which charges the leisure battery and powers all my 12v equipment when hooked up.

It’s kind of tucked away, so I’m planning to install an LED somewhere more visible to give me reassurance that it’s on and providing power. To do this, I will of course need to put a diode between the charger and the main 12v circuit, so the LED won’t light when the charger isn’t powered up.

Is it safe to do this? If so, do I need to be careful about the type of diode I use?
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Mains charger and diode

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Ah you really don't want to do that! A diode capable of handling the current supplied is going to drop at least 0.7 volts which means that it won't be able to achieve the correct voltage level for charging the battery! Does the charger not already have a power "on" LED that could be extended out to where it can be seen ? Oh and just seen the manual and its not fused either, they require you to add a 15 Amp fuse in the output lead!!! https://sargentltd.co.uk/tech-support/a ... wnload/229 You would be better off adding a voltmeter on the 12 volt line to be honest then if its sitting at 12.6 or below then your running from battery only whilst if your above 13 volts the charger will be supplying power.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks Geoff, glad I asked!

I'll have to think of another way to do this. It does have an indicator LED which might work, but as I have solar not sure that will—if the sun's out the voltage will always read higher than 12.6.
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 am

It won't be charging from the Solar overnight, which is really when the EHU charger will come into its own, so a voltmeter will tell you that the charger is working during the night and tell you that the solar controller is working during the day. Otherwise you down to installing Amp meters in each supply to see what is contributing to the 12 volt line at any given time.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:29 am

My solar charger is visible, which shows a reading of the battery's voltage so I'll stick with that for the time being and see how I get on.
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”