Securing rear cupboards

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Alan2016
Bongonaut

Securing rear cupboards

Post by Alan2016 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:01 am

Hi All

I'm thinking of removing the rear seat from our Bongo and building some cupboards to go in its place. The cupboards would extend across the full width of the Bongo and be about 50cm deep and 70cm high. I'm wondering about the best option for securing them in place? I was toying with the idea of fixing them to the rails that the seats run in using J-bolts or similar. Does this seem reasonable or is there a better solution?

Thanks for any tips

Alan
Markas
Bongolier

Re: Securing rear cupboards

Post by Markas » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:57 pm

That sounds similar in dimensions to the sort of cabinets fitted in rear conversions. Mine are screwed to the rear side panels using furniture blocks - if they're only fastened at the bottom they could break free in an accident.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks Mark. I guess I was assuming that a full cupboard would weigh a lot less than a seat with a couple of adults on it so the railing would cope. Maybe time to reconsider...

Cheers

Alan
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi Alan,
I'm sure the railing would cope, I'd be more concerned about the fastenings or the actual cupboards themselves breaking free in the event of an accident.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Alan2016
Bongonaut

Post by Alan2016 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Having removed the rear seat today I've come up with another plan which is to leave the sliding brackets in place that the seat normally attaches to and to bolt the cupboard to these. I will make the sides out of 18mm ply so there will be a lot of wood holding it in place. Still trying to decide whether to also remove the panelling and see if there is anywhere higher to also bolt into. Might be overkill though.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”