Fridge problems

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

billybadger
Bongonaut

Fridge problems

Post by billybadger » Tue May 01, 2018 8:11 pm

Hello all,

We bought our Bongo from JAL 6 years ago, and absolutely love it, but we've never got on particularly well with our fridge! I've always found it very temperamental, sometimes it would work, and sometimes not. I've had it connected to an electric hook up for days and it won't work, but then will kick in after a drive. It seems to only work off the leisure battery and not off the 240v volt hook up as it's supposed to. I was under the impression that the fridge should work whenever hooked up to the mains (assuming the right switches are clicked), and from the leisure battery when it has enough charge.

I just tested this by running it off the leisure battery - it worked. Then I unplugged the leisure battery and tried the 240v hook up - nothing. Does this sound like the electrics in the Bongo are wired incorrectly? I wonder if either the fridge or the leisure battery are not connected properly, as if the leisure battery was being charged when hooked up then the fridge should work shouldn't it?

I'd be very grateful for advice from anyone who knows about such things!

Thanks,

Tom
jonla47
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Fridge problems

Post by jonla47 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:18 pm

I have the same issue. Just acquired a JAL conversion and the electrics dont work as per the piece of paper diagram supplied. The charger seems to switch the fridge off.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 am

I found this in my archives if it's any help:

A common problem is the end switch which reads opposite to the way you think it should.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
TheHillsAreCalling
Bongonaut

Post by TheHillsAreCalling » Wed May 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Ian wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 am
Thanks for the image Ian, I have the same panel and it's taken me ages to work it all out! This'll be a really useful cheat-sheet.

Quick question - The car / leisure battery switch is a massive pain for me as it can get hit accidentally when I have passengers (due to where the panel is fitted) resulting in a flat leisure battery #-o

Is there a simple way to disable it? I've never used it, and don't plan on doing so any time soon.

Cheers,
Phil
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed May 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Sorry, no idea. You are best emailing Phil at JAL about this.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”