Water Tanks

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

julesincyberspace
Apprentice Bongonaut

Water Tanks

Post by julesincyberspace » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:31 am

Hello. Greetings. First post :-D

Which water tank and how to clean it, particularly low slung water tanks:

Have been advised against a low slung water tank due to build up of algae. Wondering if anyone would recommend low slung tanks and has found a reliable way to clean them. We have no problem avoiding drinking it but would be handy for washing etc.
Seems what we're being advised would be a caravan type arrangement: outside connection to own fresh water supply or that of a campsite.
Seems that would be a palaver at roadside and give us more to carry (would probably carry some drinking water).

Also any other arrangements to recommend instead?

Have searched and couldn't quite find the answers we needed so hope it isn't boringly common question (seems likely somehow :roll: )
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Water Tanks

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:14 am

Our built in tank was done as part of the full side conversion when the van was imported. It holds about 25 litres. We use those water cleaner tablets to keep it clean. You’ll need to the same with an external tank as you still have pipes inside to your taps. Having more rigid things to store inside is out of the question for us. See what others think.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 am

We have a 10L fresh water bottle under the sink. It does the job for us. I would prefer it if we had the space but it is convenient. We don't really use the sink in the bongo that much to be honest. We normally use campsite washing facilities. The sink often ends up as storage, out for putting dirty items in ready for washing.

The most common use for the water is to give the dog a drink. It is particularly good when we are not camping but need to give the dog a drink.
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Whichever water tank you have - best practice would be to clean with those sterilisation tablets
Also, flush some of it through the tap to clean the pipes & tap. Best to also give the end of the pipe a wipe over, with anti-bacterial wipes
especially if the water tank and sink haven't been used over the winter (like mine!)
Billybongo123
Bongolier

Post by Billybongo123 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Ours is black and is located under the side door. I just use a tablet each time and it's fine for washing up.
We love our rusty Bongo "Billy", despite his many faults!
julesincyberspace
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by julesincyberspace » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:00 pm

Thanks guys. What a thrill to see some replies :) Food for thought.
john
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by john » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Ordinary thin Bleach (do not use thick) works fine and is cheap. Use 0.1% by volume ie 0.1ml per litre. Leave for 24hrs, drain & refill with fresh water.
You can dress it up to come in a different form such as a tablet, but I cant see why you'd ignore the basic ingredient - chlorine.
I've been using this in our 150Ltr stainless steel water tank and system since our narrow boat was built in 2005, it has proved entirely successful.

I've also met people that didn't know their tanks and water systems need cleaning periodically (every 12-18 months) and they're still alive!!!

Its just worth mentioning that water supply break tanks (a very similar system) in multi storey buildings have to be chlorinated every 12 months by law!!
John B
1996 V6 AFT
About to convert
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:24 pm

john wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:39 pm Ordinary thin Bleach (do not use thick) works fine and is cheap. Use 0.1% by volume ie 0.1ml per litre. Leave for 24hrs, drain & refill with fresh water.
You can dress it up to come in a different form such as a tablet, but I cant see why you'd ignore the basic ingredient - chlorine.
I've been using this in our 150Ltr stainless steel water tank and system since our narrow boat was built in 2005, it has proved entirely successful.

I've also met people that didn't know their tanks and water systems need cleaning periodically (every 12-18 months) and they're still alive!!!

Its just worth mentioning that water supply break tanks (a very similar system) in multi storey buildings have to be chlorinated every 12 months by law!!
Great post =D>

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”