Help wanted - Wind defector for TOP of bongo.

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Fazza
Apprentice Bongonaut

Help wanted - Wind defector for TOP of bongo.

Post by Fazza » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Hello all!

I think this was the right sub-channel to post in.

I have a Bongo which has been great for a few years now. I've had all sorts done to it since the original JAL conversion and its serving me well.

However, the JAL mushroom roof I have isnt without its downsides. The biggest one seems to be if I travel over 70mph (I know, I know). Or sometimes even sub-70 with a headwind, I get air taken into the roof cavity.
It seems that no matter how much I try to adjust the front closing mechanism to pull the roof down as tight as possible, wind can occasionally flow under the rubber seal and cause the canvas inside to flap.

Not only is this noisey but it appears to cause uneven drag and can casue the van to become a bit unstable and bounce about a bit left to right.

So I'm thinking I need to get hold of a roof wind refector. The trouble is, that ones like the drivelodge are fitted with (http://drivelodge.co.uk) seem to fit far further back on the roof where the mushroom roof starts, ie. no room for it.
I've also seen some windscreen mounded wind defectors but understand they cause a total nightmare should the windscreen need to be replaced.

Anyone have any ideas on suitible mods? I'm not sure if a simple rubber strip attached on the small space in between the windscreen and roof start held down with epoxy would be enough or how that would look. Otherwise any ideas on a more comprehensive screwed-down solution would be fantastic.

Thanks a lot,

Fazza
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Help wanted - Wind defector for TOP of bongo.

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Could you customise a sunroof deflector from a wide(ish) car? https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performa ... -deflector
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Fazza
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Fazza » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks for the reply!

It just so happens that another 30 mins later of googling and I think I've found what I was looking for!

https://cccampers.myshopify.com/product ... -many-more

Sticking that on, perhaps with a little clear silicone sealant on the leading edge should do the trick!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Make sure you use a quality adhesive like Sikaflex. :wink:
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Looks just the job and not too expensive :D
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Garry W
Bongonaut

Post by Garry W » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:56 am

Fazza wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:16 pm Thanks for the reply!

It just so happens that another 30 mins later of googling and I think I've found what I was looking for!

Sticking that on, perhaps with a little clear silicone sealant on the leading edge should do the trick!
Wotcha.

That's the same as the one fitted to mine - and that stopped my roof from wanting to bounce up and down at anything above sixty.
G.W.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Fazza wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:16 pm Thanks for the reply!

Yes, that's what you need for a JAL roof. I've got one on mine and haven't had a problem since.

It's frightening, that noise, isn't it!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:59 pm

I have a JAL and keep my silver thermal screens up there. Also have my table top stored up there so with both combined there are no issues.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:53 pm

JoeC wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:59 pm I have a JAL and keep my silver thermal screens up there. Also have my table top stored up there so with both combined there are no issues.
It's not so much what is or is not up there within the roof space, it's that when you hit a certain speed, particularly with head-on wind and rain, the front of the roof vibrates so much you think you're losing the roof!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Jillygumbo wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:53 pm
JoeC wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:59 pm I have a JAL and keep my silver thermal screens up there. Also have my table top stored up there so with both combined there are no issues.
It's not so much what is or is not up there within the roof space, it's that when you hit a certain speed, particularly with head-on wind and rain, the front of the roof vibrates so much you think you're losing the roof!
I experience the noise when I don't have my bits up top so am guessing that my bits stop it for happening for me.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Yer bits can work wonders. :wink:

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”