Connecting a fridge to leisure battery

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

hugsjugs
Bongonaut

Connecting a fridge to leisure battery

Post by hugsjugs » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi.

Our Bongo conversion came with a leisure battery which is connected to two small spotlights that we never use and nothing else. We would really like to connect the battery to something useful-our fridge, which currently only works when connected to hook up (or when we are moving along). We know this would use a lot of the leisure battery but we don't mind as we don't use it for anything else and aren't often without hook-up.

Can anyone recommend a good auto electrician that would be able to do this for us or advise us?

PS: the fridge can be connected to the gas but we don't want to go down that route.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Connecting a fridge to leisure battery

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Is it a fridge that will work from 12 volts ? Most compressor fridges intended for campervan use are capable, but not all the ones fitted are intended for campervan use.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
hugsjugs
Bongonaut

Post by hugsjugs » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks I'll double check but I believe it will work with 12v.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:20 am

Given that it sounds like a three-way fridge as it has gas as well its very likely, however a lot of fridges of that type are NOT compressor fridges, not a major problem so long as you switch to gas or EHU on arrival but leaving it on 12 volts when static may impose a significant battery drain.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
hugsjugs
Bongonaut

Post by hugsjugs » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks yes it will work on 12v. I think the next step is to see if I can find anyone local-ish that can take a look and advise us on how to connect it up to either the leisure battery (or gas is an option)

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”