240v hook up

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: 240v hook up

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Got another quick question (for Geoff really but all advise welcome!).

I've bought an active rcd 30mA triggered MK 2 x 23amp socket to mount in the Bongo (and it will be earthed!). I want to mount the hookup socket on my towbar mounted step (a one-off i bought on ebay). It is already drilled for two trailer type connector sockets, one of which is already in use for a 7 pin trailer socket. I can't seem to find a suitable size and type of 3 pin hookup socket to fit in the space available and it occurs to me could i not just use a trailer type plug and socket. I'd need to use a 13 pin one to make sure a custom made hookup lead could not accidentally be plugged into the 7 pin trailer socket. In terms of current handling, they seem to be rated at 16amps so ought to cope readily with demand (i'd only be using 3 of the pins though suppose i could even connect bridged pairs to reduce current across each pin). Could this be a reasonable solution?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:55 pm

It looks like the pins would be exposed on the 13 pin plug, ie live electricery exposed to atmosphere, and body parts.

There's also the risk of someone else getting hold of the 'Special' lead and accidentaly getting mains into a 13 pin socket.

Trust me, if it can possibly be done some ding bat will do it. :?

Imagine you get eaten by a lion and your lead finishes up in a charity shop... :(

Sorry to be a bit negative Bill. :oops:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Bob wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:55 pm It looks like the pins would be exposed on the 13 pin plug, ie live electricery exposed to atmosphere, and body parts.

There's also the risk of someone else getting hold of the 'Special' lead and accidentaly getting mains into a 13 pin socket.

Trust me, if it can possibly be done some ding bat will do it. :?

Imagine you get eaten by a lion and your lead finishes up in a charity shop... :(

Sorry to be a bit negative Bill. :oops:
You're right on all counts Ben. I'd already seen this hookup socket (below) and assumed that everyone using hookup made their connections before switching the power on else how does this socket work. The eaten-by-lion scenario had occurred to me but i didn't want to hear it. [-X

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1816535489

I emailed the vendor about baseplate size but they've not come back to me and in the meantime i had one of my brainwaves hey ho ha ha sob. :-(

Drat and blast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Trouble is even if you make all your connections before making the lead live a passing kiddie could disconnect from the van and poke their wee pinkies into the hot bit.

More angry mums chasing you round the campsite Bill. :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Bob wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:20 pm Trouble is even if you make all your connections before making the lead live a passing kiddie could disconnect from the van and poke their wee pinkies into the hot bit.

More angry mums chasing you round the campsite Bill. :lol:
Don't want that Ben :-(
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Won't happen the plugs/sockets are designed so that small fingers can't plug themselves in!
Its all down to mounting requirements, now those are not standardised so you will need to find the dimensions.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:02 pm

g8dhe wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 pm Won't happen the plugs/sockets are designed so that small fingers can't plug themselves in!
Its all down to mounting requirements, now those are not standardised so you will need to find the dimensions.
Bob's right though in that if i have a live male connector then that could easily give a kid a shock.

That reads really badly, but you get my gist :shock: :?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:06 pm

We know what you mean Bill. :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:45 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:02 pm
g8dhe wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 pm Won't happen the plugs/sockets are designed so that small fingers can't plug themselves in!
Bob's right though in that if i have a live male connector then that could easily give a kid a shock.

That reads really badly, but you get my gist :shock: :?
I think I misread what was being proposed!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:07 am

The search for a solution continues. I could see me ending by making up a standard EHU lead and connectors, fitting a 13 pin caravan socket on the towbar step, then making up a stub connector EHU male to 13 pin male caravan plug that is clearly labelled as CUSTOM CONNECTOR - ONLY FOR USE WITH BONGO REG N*** *** . I may even put a keeper on the towbar end of the stub lead so Little Johnie Naughtyboy cannot casually put out and expose a live male connector and give everyone a shock. :shock: [-X :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:19 am

Yip, yip, gawf, gawf, fnar, fnar. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”