What do you have for an AFT mattress?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

TheHillsAreCalling
Bongonaut

What do you have for an AFT mattress?

Post by TheHillsAreCalling » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 am

Hi Folks...

We'd be really interested in hearing what you've done about mattresses for the AFT - especially if you have a catflap fitted. We just got one done at the weekend and are wondering what to use.

Leisure Comfortz seem to get mentioned a lot, so we were thinking of them, but we're not sure about the memory foam as some people say that memory foam can be less comfortable, and we bought some memory foam pillows for home once which we absolutely hated. Has anyone here tried the standard foam mattresses from Leisure Comfortz? Any good?

Another option is the duvalay topper, but they seem to be pretty bulky and also come as one large piece - we'd prefer to have something with a split to make the catflap more usable when heading out for a pee in the night! I think we can rule them out.

Final option would be to get some foam (or memory foam) cut to size and make our own covers. Does anyone have the sizes for a 2001 Bongo with catflap conversion? Also, any advice on types of foam / reliable places to get it would be really handy.
TheHillsAreCalling
Bongonaut

Re: What do you have for an AFT mattress?

Post by TheHillsAreCalling » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Probably talking to myself here, but in case anyone's interested we got the foam cut to size from SafeFoam in the end.

They do a pre-cut set specifically for the Bongo but have stopped making them now and are just selling off their old stock #-o Get in quick if you need some! :lol:
Club-Bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Club-Bongo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:06 pm

We've go the memory foam from comfortz and personally speaking i find it really comfortable...if that helps.
RB72
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RB72 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:57 pm

TheHillsAreCalling - good tip about SafeFoam. They seem to still have stock - but may I ask what did you use to cover the foam and hold it all together?

Thanks
TheHillsAreCalling
Bongonaut

Post by TheHillsAreCalling » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Nothing yet, but there's a charity near where we live that trains disadvantaged youths to do upholstery so we'll be getting some made by them once they have some availability.

A friend of mine made their own and I know plenty of others on here have done the same, although I definitely lack the required skills.
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Memory foam from Comfortz is the way forward. Gets more comfortable the more times you sleep on it. I had a memory foam pillow as well. Struggled for a couple of nights but slept like a log after that.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”