Mushroom roof and larger bed

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Mango_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Mushroom roof and larger bed

Post by Mango_bongo » Fri May 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi Folks, I am a Bongo newby, planning to buy a conversion from JAL. Does anyone have any experience of their larger bed and mushroom roof conversions? There looks to be very limited cupboard space with the larger bed option and I can't decide whether it is worth their several month waiting list for this. Also are the 'mushroom' beds much bigger than normal lift-ups? Any down-sides? Thanks!
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Re: Mushroom roof and larger bed

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri May 05, 2017 3:11 pm

The bongo quality is usually worth the wait from JAL. A good basic vehicle is worth it's weight in gold.

The mushroom roof (not bed!) is very heaving to lift and you need a long pole to pull it down again. If you're a strapping young man no doubt you'll have no problems, but if you're a solo female of the shorter variety (like me) then the mushroom roof is a big no-no. I've got the skylift roof and can manage that on my own, albeit sometimes a bit awkward if the bolt won't go through the hole in the post immediately. I've got a telescopic ladder just in case but I'm finding I don't need it as much as before.

You may want to consider the Skyline roof as an option, but Phil will try to persuade you otherwise. The Skyline roof is much lighter to lift and lower, I believe. Can recommend Den at New Dawn Conversions who does conversions and can fit these to a tintop.

Note: telescopic ladder makes cleaning the roof very easy!

Cupboard space with a wide bed - can't comment.

Better to consider your conversion/roof options carefully to ensure you get the best layout for you and your family.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri May 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Since the Bongoing season is getting into full swing do try and get along to one or two Meets and chat to owners.

Peeps will happily tell you good and bad about their particular set up and no sales pitch.

Do bear in mind that peeps often go out for the day so before 10.00 or after 16.00 are good times. :wink:

And welcome to BF. :D
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 pm

I have a JAL mushroom with wide bed.

Roof ... if you do go for one then make sure you ask for ventilation flaps/mesh to be installed each end as it gets very stuffy in there.

Wide bed ... yes not much storage space but I went for a good nights sleep rather than storage.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue May 09, 2017 4:12 pm

JoeC wrote:Roof ... if you do go for one then make sure you ask for ventilation flaps/mesh to be installed each end as it gets very stuffy in there.
I asked Phil to fit mesh so the roof could be ventilated and he was reluctant to do this. In the end I went for the standard (closed in). Phil instals a mushroom vent at the rear end of the roof* but I have had installed two more of these at the highest point of the roof. These work well and you can always stuff sponge in if it gets too cold in the winter (I haven't yet).

*Phil said this was not for ventilation but to allow the air to escape when the roof was being pulled down. As the air escapes into the bongo when you pull the roof down I couldn't see the logic but hey ho!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu May 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Good to know that Phil still visits the site now and then :)
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu May 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Oh yes, not everyone knows that. :wink:
Mango_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Mango_bongo » Thu May 11, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks all! Mind boggling options. I'm off to see an AFT that was originally converted by Southern Bongos. I'll see how it compares :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Welcome mango_bongo. Good name choice. My daughter named ours Mango Bongo as soon as she saw it..... going on 11 years ago. She's a fully grown young lady now, the Bongo is still hale & hearty, and I'm retired. How time flies!
Mango_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Mango_bongo » Mon May 22, 2017 9:48 am

Thank you! It was my ebay name years before I even knew Bongos existed. Divine inspiration I reckon :)

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”