Rear vs side conversion -storage space?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Rear vs side conversion -storage space?

Post by Bongolia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:14 am

Yes , I like that set up very much and a reasonable price too.
Tambour doors and the fridge right in front of the drivers seat so not to far to reach for a tinny or two and the seating arrangement is very similar to what I want to achieve and over head cupboards at the rear as well!
These guys have given this some thought and addressed the drawbacks of a side conversion in a little van, very good use of space. Impressed I is.
What width is the bed?
What color are you having on the cabinets?
Could save me a lot of aggro.
Good choice Brian.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:07 am

Bongolia wrote:Yes , I like that set up very much and a reasonable price too. :lol:
Tambour doors and the fridge right in front of the drivers seat so not to far to reach for a tinny or two and the seating arrangement is very similar to what I want to achieve and over head cupboards at the rear as well!
These guys have given this some thought and addressed the drawbacks of a side conversion in a little van, very good use of space. Impressed I is.
What width is the bed?
What color are you having on the cabinets?
Could save me a lot of aggro.
Good choice Brian.
Loads of photos when ive picked it up,but if youve seen Dens Bongo at the meets hes been to,its the same as his.....claret and black
Width of the bed?.....no idea,but theres only me and my little dog,and that will be plenty of room for us :lol:
Ill measure it when it comes back.
Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:53 am

I think it's a great choice for the side conversion, would be very interested in seeing more pics (the New Dawn site needs more pics to show it off).

I'm surprised that they haven't fitted a few of those net pocket things to that side where the fridge is as it's a blank space crying out for extra storage!

Are you going from an unconverted van to this new layout?

Cheers.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:16 am

Yan wrote:I think it's a great choice for the side conversion, would be very interested in seeing more pics (the New Dawn site needs more pics to show it off).[*]

I'm surprised that they haven't fitted a few of those net pocket things to that side where the fridge is as it's a blank space crying out for extra storage!

Are you going from an unconverted van to this new layout?

Cheers.
Not sure I understand what youre saying there,"that side where the fridge is "...... isnt a blank space,it IS where the fridge is.Not sure if the fridge door would benefit from net pocketing . :?
But I will put plenty of photos up of all advantages of the design.

Yes,unconverted 8 seater tin top to super duper campervan !!

Brian

Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Bongoplod wrote:
Not sure I understand what youre saying there,"that side where the fridge is "...... isnt a blank space,it IS where the fridge is.Not sure if the fridge door would benefit from net pocketing . :?
But I will put plenty of photos up of all advantages of the design.

Yes,unconverted 8 seater tin top to super duper campervan !!

Brian

I bet you can't wait to see the end results.

Here's a picture I prepared earlier of what I was thinking. You'll have to excuse my terrible photo editing, did it in a rush!!

I realised that the bed will probably crush all your belongings stored in the pockets though :D

Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:54 am

Ahh,see what you mean now.

Not sure what gap there is from "your pockets" to the off side,side off thr bed. Will measure when I get it back and let you know

Brian
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:17 am

Bongoplod wrote:Ahh,see what you mean now.

Not sure what gap there is from "your pockets" to the off side,side off thr bed. Will measure when I get it back and let you know

Brian
Thanks Brian! I'm trying to convince the wife to switch to a side conversion at some point. I think I need to get to another meet up so I can nosey in some vans to get a good idea of what the different versions are like.

Cheers,
Ian
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Another point that should be considered with a side conversion is access to the engine.
On mine the drivers seat has to be removed to raise the cover.
When I said Brian's choice was well thought out... it seems that they addressed this problem also.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Bongolia wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Top loading fridge much better all round as front loader often unusable when bed is down pmus dumps cool air every time you open it.
Yes not being able to get at fridge when the beds down is a real pain. I looked at top loaders when planning the wasps interior and decided to go for a portable unit. Far more versatile and it could be let into a work top if you fancied that approach.
Guy on here had one for sale I think? :P

Cant remember which member carried out this conversion using a Waeco CF18 but I was always mightily impressed by everything he produced so I kept a copy his pics of the finished job - - - http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/ ... ng%20b.jpg
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:56 pm

Spot on Geoff - now that's what i call the best way to install a fridge/coolbox - efficient, always useable, and versatile. Surprised we don't see that more in Bongo conversions, my friends expensive T5 California uses something like what you show in that pic. and that conversion is super clever on space usage.
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 am

Bongolia wrote:Another point that should be considered with a side conversion is access to the engine.
On mine the drivers seat has to be removed to raise the cover.
When I said Brian's choice was well thought out... it seems that they addressed this problem also.
I'm pleased you've mentioned this as it's something that I'd wondered about side conversions. More food for thought!
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:06 pm

vanvliet wrote:
Bongolia wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Top loading fridge much better all round as front loader often unusable when bed is down pmus dumps cool air every time you open it.
Yes not being able to get at fridge when the beds down is a real pain. I looked at top loaders when planning the wasps interior and decided to go for a portable unit. Far more versatile and it could be let into a work top if you fancied that approach.
Guy on here had one for sale I think? :P

Can't remember which member carried out this conversion using a Waeco CF18 but I was always mightily impressed by everything he produced so I kept a copy his pics of the finished job - - - http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/ ... ng%20b.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/ ... ng%20c.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/ ... ng%20d.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/ ... reezer.jpg

I liked the idea that it has easy access to remove it for BBQing /picnics . If you are not using the fridge in the van the extra storage space could be very useful too. My wife used to steal the Waeco to transport home freezables from the supermarket etc - we had a 12v socket in the boot of our day car !
Having a removable fridge freezer also means that you can load it up with stuff before setting off and have in fully cooled via your domestic power before putting it in the van and topping up via the 12v leisure battery until you can use the site hook
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Hotpot, always had an interesting conversion, rear but pivoted so she could open the rear door and swing the unit out, which included a top loading fridge as well. None of the pictures seem to be available any longer however http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 08#p173208
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:50 pm

g8dhe wrote:Hotpot, always had an interesting conversion, rear but pivoted so she could open the rear door and swing the unit out, which included a top loading fridge as well. None of the pictures seem to be available any longer however http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 08#p173208
I used to go on and on about swing out conversions. But noone (except hotpot and - briefly - Northern Bongolow) has ever picked up on the idea. Makes a load of sense to me.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Obviously Bongo owners aren't from the age of Swingers then ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”