Rear vs side conversion -storage space?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Rear vs side conversion -storage space?

Post by Bongolia » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:15 pm

g8dhe wrote:Hotpot, always had an interesting conversion, rear but pivoted so she could open the rear door and swing the unit out, which included a top loading fridge as well. None of the pictures seem to be available any longer however http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 08#p173208
Well it goes to show nothing is new.
I had planned to do exactly that even welded in the reinforcing for the pivot when welding the Wasps NS rear trumpet, but in the end decided against it due to the complexity of the construction Vs the gain in functionality. Does anyone have any images of this kind of conversion?
I
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:58 pm

Waeco used to have an optional 'slide out' base system for their fridges which was used on the rear of Landrovers. It is/was pricey but it could offer ideas for a DIY version . . . . . . . . the Australians love 'em

http://www.drifta.com.au/toyota-200-ser ... r-package/

There is some info on youtube too
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Bongolia wrote:
g8dhe wrote:Hotpot, always had an interesting conversion, rear but pivoted so she could open the rear door and swing the unit out, which included a top loading fridge as well. None of the pictures seem to be available any longer however http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 08#p173208
I had planned to do exactly that even welded in the reinforcing for the pivot when welding the Wasps NS rear trumpet, but in the end decided against it due to the complexity of the construction Vs the gain in functionality. Does anyone have any images of this kind of conversion?
I
Northern Bongolow (Ady) could tell you how he fitted the pivot tube for theirs. I think its an idea worth exploring especially if the whole lot can just be lifted out when Bongo is wanted in mpv/ loadlugging role
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:48 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Bongolia wrote:
I
Northern Bongolow (Ady) could tell you how he fitted the pivot tube for theirs. I think its an idea worth exploring especially if the whole lot can just be lifted out when Bongo is wanted in mpv/ loadlugging role
That would be useful as I have not committed at this stage.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Bongolia wrote:Wow , that sounds such a simple question but very difficult to answer.
It really depends on the converter I think, some make much better use of the hidden spaces on the Bongo than others and then there is how do you camp and what you carry of course.
I looked at the North Star site but it looks a bit busted as there are no images I could find so I am not sure exactly of your layout but...
have you considered a swivel mechanism for the centre seat or a pull out draw under the centre seat?

If it helps I am starting to dummy out an interior layout on my 4WD project and have opted for a rear end hob and wardrobe whilst retaining the centre seat as forward facing reclining the front seats, sans headrests, to form two single beds a sort of front room with a rear cooking and changing bit. With the inclusion of a draw under the seat I think it will give more storage than my current vehicle.
This is a 2WD Aero with a full side conversion and I find it limited for storage when fully loaded so I supplement it with a large storage box that lives outside and makes a table when on site.
The under bed area is not that practical as you have a lot of superstructure under there and sliding bits getting in the way .The doors on the wardrobe are not that practical either (tambours would be better), as to the doors at the rear I ended up taking them off as the openings restricted what you can get in there.I found the bed not that comfortable either for two biggies!
It looks very nice though.
Hi Bongolia,
Yours sounds like a nice idea! Would be interesting to see the result. My centre seat has a swivel mechanism, but unfortunately to rotate the seat I have to take out everything from the floor area, including two side box seats and everything what is in them, which is extremely time-consuming and annoying. And if it happens to rain...
I travel on my own at present and so I have way too wide a bed for one, yet when I need a nap in the middle of the day or something I have to change all the layout, reshuffle my stuff inside the van to make my bed. Side conversion with a more straightforward bed arrangements seems quite appealing to me.
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:51 am

Ignis wrote: Yours sounds like a nice idea! Would be interesting to see the result. My centre seat has a swivel mechanism, but unfortunately to rotate the seat I have to take out everything from the floor area, including two side box seats and everything what is in them, which is extremely time-consuming and annoying. And if it happens to rain...
This is the exact problem I have.

I actually made a little box seat to go over the rear wheel arch, I spent 2 days making the seat and half a day vinyl wrapping it. I then popped it in place and gathered the family round to show my work only to discover the swivel seat clonks into my new seat...gutted #-o The concept of a middle seat that can face both ways is brilliant, but swivelling is not the best in such a small space.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:15 am

Oh no, Yan!! I can relate to how disappointing it was!:-( I had made so many mistakes like this when was converting my Renault Kangoo into a micro campervan that since I bought an already converted Bongo, I really don't want to do any diy on it...

And yes, swivelling is a great concept but not for Bongos probably.
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:11 am

I've seen a few rear conversions that have either shaped benches or shorter ones with on overhanging seat, presumably designed to clear the swivel seat when swivelling. It is possible, I'd imagine if you slide as you swivel you could maximise the length of bench you have. You'd only need to chop the corner off to clear.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:17 am

Like this.

Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 am

Looks like a good solution! thanks for posting a pic :) I need to go back to the drawing board and start again.

A friend of mine who had a VWT4 said there was a bench seat where you just moved the back so you kind of slid the whole back of the chair to the front so you could sit either side, anyone heard of this before?
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:31 pm

I use an SPD campers (now Cool Custom Conversions) Rear conversion.... bit like the Northstar, but I got Tony to do away with the side "wardrobe" cupboard and shift the sink/hob over 50mm then I have a top loading CF-18 (8yrs old and still brilliant) Fridge in the same place....
Yer pays yer money and we find the wider bed is much better for us fat folk...lol
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”