Pop top roof for a tin top

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Scratch
Bongolier

Pop top roof for a tin top

Post by Scratch » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:06 am

Has anybody on here had a pop top roof fitted to a tin top? If so who did you use and are you happy with the result. I know there has been lot of discussion on this subject in the past but I m now seriously considering getting it done.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Re: Pop top roof for a tin top

Post by Diplomat » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:00 pm

How could anyone disfigure such a beautiful vehicle?

It will never look the same again !!!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 am

Northstar Conversions (good reputation) fit pop tops, one is very similar to the T4 / T5 pop top.

There are others, (Campervan Convertions ?) though you may find some will only fit to vehicles they import. Prices seem much the same, give or take.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:01 am

As against a pop top,a Hi-top is between £1300 and £2000 ,depending what you want,ie windows,vent,insulation,bedboards etc
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:57 pm

Can't give any advice on where to get one, but our bongo was a tintop and converted on import by the previous owners. I think it was done by Budget Bongos?

The finished job looks amazing and I wouldn't regret getting it done as it adds a lot of useable space to the van. We have a rear kitchen so ours is a reverse pop-top so the standing room is at the back which I really like.

The only thing I wish I had was a button to make it go up electrically like the AFT roofs! I get roof envy :) really though it's very quick and easy to put up and down and the kids love it!
Supersooty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Supersooty » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:53 pm

My Bongo came from Andy's Imports near Norwich. I had a 'Pop-up' roof fitted when I bought it; cost £3000. It makes all the difference when camping being able to stand up inside etc. We have not used it in anger as a bedroom yet. It is not powered so no problem with complicated electrics. Just release the ties inside and push up, to stow pull down and secure the tie tapes. Seemples! :D
I am not always right but, I am never wrong! 8)
Eilidh&Andrew
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Eilidh&Andrew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi there,
It's good to see positive chat about the pop-up roof. We're about to have our tin top converted and were getting a bit worried about it. Is there any more advice out there about whether to go for this? Our bongo is going to be landing in the UK next week so we haven't even seen it yet! Yikes! Excited though. Any advice would be really welcome.
Cheers! :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Welcome aboard. :D

Don't worry about buying it unseen, the quality importers will look after you well.

Some of them offer their own pop tops and I'm sure peeps who have had them fitted will recommend companies.
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:29 am

Eilidh&Andrew wrote:Hi there,
It's good to see positive chat about the pop-up roof. We're about to have our tin top converted and were getting a bit worried about it. Is there any more advice out there about whether to go for this? Our bongo is going to be landing in the UK next week so we haven't even seen it yet! Yikes! Excited though. Any advice would be really welcome.
Cheers! :D
Hi and welcome!

We have an after market pop and wouldn't hesitate to have one put in if budget allowed. When you're in camping mode the pop top is invaluable. Being able to stand up makes a huge difference, also when you're sat in the van with the pop up it 'feels' bigger and more airy. I find my self cooking and admiring the view at the same time :)

Another point is that when cooking in the van, if you have the roof up with the windows open (in the pop) the cooking smells/steam are easier to disperse.

We often sleep up there with 1 adult and 1 child. It also makes a great extra storage place if you have the sleeping boards, you can make up a platform and sling your bedding/kit up there.

I've nothing against tin tops btw :)

If you'd like to ask me any questions or post up some pics of any concerns just let me know and I'll be happy to do so.

Cheers!
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Only advice I can add is that if the importer offers to fit a lifting roof, it may be only one type of roof, depending on the importer. There are different types of manual roofs out there and some are more awkward and heavier than others.

Most importers will not fit a roof to a vehicle other than one they have supplied.

One which seems to be rather popular is the Skyline Roof and with hindsight... Google them.

I have a JAL skylift manual roof (looks like an auto freetop). However, the locking pins are on top of the roof (awkward for a short a**e like me), and unless you specifically ask for it (and pay extra), you won't get a canvas that can be unzipped for fresh air. I had extra vents put in the roof because it got so hot in the summer.

I am used to it now and I can't afford to replace it for a long time.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Jillygumbo wrote: I have a JAL skylift manual roof (looks like an auto freetop). However, the locking pins are on top of the roof (awkward for a short a**e like me), and unless you specifically ask for it (and pay extra), you won't get a canvas that can be unzipped for fresh air. I had extra vents put in the roof because it got so hot in the summer.
Can I ask who did your extra vents? I've got 2 side windows on my pop (with zippers and a mesh panel), but would like to add a larger window with zipper to the front of my canvas so I get views all round if I wanted?

I wasn't sure you could get something like this done after it was installed?

Thanks!
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Yan wrote:
Jillygumbo wrote: I have a JAL skylift manual roof (looks like an auto freetop). However, the locking pins are on top of the roof (awkward for a short a**e like me), and unless you specifically ask for it (and pay extra), you won't get a canvas that can be unzipped for fresh air. I had extra vents put in the roof because it got so hot in the summer.
Can I ask who did your extra vents? I've got 2 side windows on my pop (with zippers and a mesh panel), but would like to add a larger window with zipper to the front of my canvas so I get views all round if I wanted?

I wasn't sure you could get something like this done after it was installed?

Thanks!
The roof came with a mushroom vent on the top of the roof, but at the back (lowest end when raised). I added two more mushroom vents at the highest point of the roof. They are not in the canvas. They are standard mushroom vents found online. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mushr ... caQ3aSM%3A
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Can you spell that link for me Jill?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Yan
Bongonaut

Post by Yan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Jillygumbo wrote: The roof came with a mushroom vent on the top of the roof, but at the back (lowest end when raised). I added two more mushroom vents at the highest point of the roof. They are not in the canvas. They are standard mushroom vents found online.
Ahh I see. Thanks!

If anyone knows if you can add a window into a pop canvas without removing it first please let me know.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:44 pm

It would be a case of buying some of the plastic used for rear windows in soft top cars and sewing it in place, then cutting out the material.

Could be done but I wouldn't think its easy. :?

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”