New Bongo. DIY or Professional??

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Spencer_matt
Apprentice Bongonaut

New Bongo. DIY or Professional??

Post by Spencer_matt » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello all. So we finally purchased our first Bongo. A 1996 P reg with 118,000 Km. (Hopefully) now the fun can begin. The bongo is currently (I guess you could say) semi converted. The previous owner had done a basic, but usable, self-conversion but obviously we are looking to put our own stamp on it. My question is though what do other members feel like is worth doing themselves or getting done themselves. I am confident of doing most things myself practically, but finding the time is always difficult. Also, in my mind it only really makes sense doing it yourself if there is good savings to be had in doing so!

With that in mind I was wondering what other users thoughts are on the following tasks (taking into account price, time and importance of doing right!)

1. Insulation and New floor
2. Leisure battery fitting
3. External hook up
4. Coolant alarm
5. Rear or side conversion - including fridge and hob set up

Thanks for any help you can all provide
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: New Bongo. DIY or Professional??

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:22 pm

Coolant alarm is top of the list.

Simple enough DIY fit or fairly cheap to get a garage to install.

This won't be very helpful, but all the other things are very much a personal balance between budget/time/skill/requirements.

Ours is still un-converted after 9 years as a bed, loo, and brew kit seems to do all we want for short breaks, and caravan for longer stays in one place. 8)
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:36 pm

There is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself especially the conversion and insulation side of things. As Bob says you are able to tailor the vehicle to your needs and the cost savings are significant.
So my vote would be DIY.
:D
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:03 pm

Try this for ideas before committing
I'm on the 3rd incarnation in 4 years a mix of professional and DIY.
don't rush

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 47&t=37365

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”