converting van to campervan

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

vanvliet
Supreme Being

converting van to campervan

Post by vanvliet » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Not restricted to Bongo but general questions about converting .

Insurance co tells me that a camper is cheaper to insure and that if I buy a van to convert then I have 60 days to do this . If it takes longer they will have to cancel the years premium and I will get nothing at all back. I will have to take out a new policy to cover the van now classed as a camper. I do understand where they are coming from .
Would I be best just to run it for a year and then convert? How easy is it to get the van recognized as a campervan? Any other observations /views /suggestions /advice from folk who have taken this route or similar? :?
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: converting van to campervan

Post by Ian » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Are you ready? Here's the official view from DVLA for getting your vehicle classification changed from a car to a motorcaravan. They have the right to inspect the vehicle before re-classification.

"A Motor caravan means a special purposes passenger car constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:

• seats and table
• sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats
• cooking facilities
• storage facilities.

This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.”

The interpretation applied to this definition is as follows:

“Seats and a table are required to be an integral part of the living accommodation area, and mounted independently of other items. The table must be capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor and /or side wall. The table mounting arrangement must be secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded), although the table may be detachable. Permanently secured seating must be available for use at the table. The seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall. The seats must be secured as a permanent feature, (bolted riveted, screwed or welded).

Sleeping accommodation must be an integral part of the living accommodation area. It must consist of either beds or a bed converted from seats (to form a mattress base) secured as a permanent feature, with base structures bolted, riveted, screwed or welded to the vehicle floor and/or side wall, (unless the sleeping accommodation is provided as a provision over the driver's cab compartment).

Cooking facilities must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation and mounted independently of other items. They must be secured to the vehicle floor and/or side wall as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed, or welded). The cooking facility must consist of a minimum of a two ring cooking facility or a microwave in either case having a fuel/power source. If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel supply pipe must be permanently secured to the vehicle structure. If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel reservoir must be secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure.

Storage facilities must be provided by a cupboard or locker. The facility must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation, i.e.mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated below seat/sleeping accommodation or the cooking facility. The storage facility must be a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded). The storage facility must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall, unless a storage provision is provided over the driver's cab compartment"
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Phew! Thanks Ian
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:04 pm

John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:37 pm

So now need to decide on whether to buy a van and run it for a while or get the new van delivered directly to the converter - decisions decisions - - - - - - - :?

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”