47" or 41" Bed in side conversion ??

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

sootyswift
Junior Bongonaut

47" or 41" Bed in side conversion ??

Post by sootyswift » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi

We have just paid our deposit on a 2001 V6 Aero with mushroom roof from JAL. Now the difficult bit - deciding on the conversion. We are sold on the side conversion as this works for us. Initially we were committed to the Super Wide 47" bed with a Fridge under the bench seat. Phil at JAL says this is by far the most popular choice. Now, whilst we don't doubt that, we are thinking that a 41" bed will do the trick - more side storage (wider) and larger capacity fridge freezer which would be on the side, under bed storage (as there would be no fridge here) and rear side storage. There are only two of us, with a large gangly greyhound. If push comes to shove, one of us could sleep in the roof - that said we have measured 41" and it whilst snug, certainly seems doable....as SWMBO says, every inch counts :wink:

Difficulty is that we haven't had a chance to actually see each the smaller bed and greater storage in situ - JAL only has a 47" Superwide bed demo available for viewing.

Has anyone got a similar set up or experience of the 41" bed or for that matter the 47" bed with the more (it would appear) limited storage.

Any thoughts, opinions or observations gratefully received

Many thanks in advance :)
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: 47" or 41" Bed in side conversion ??

Post by sotal » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:13 pm

We have the Southern Bongos Mid Conversion.

Just been out to measure the width of the bed. At its narrowest it is 38", obviously beyond the mid conversion it opens out to full width.

We normally sleep with either my wife and the 2 kids in the roof, or one adult and one child in the roof and one adult and one child down stairs.

On a few occasions the kids have decided that they are going to sleep upstairs alone and we have then ended up with 2 adults down stairs. It feels a little cosy but we both sleep fine.

Storage space is a premium in the Bongo and I wouldn't want to give much of it up!
Tertiary
Bongolier

Post by Tertiary » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi sootyswift :D

Sorry, just picked up on this thread...

We have the 41" bed and side conversion with mushroom roof and love it. We did initially look at the wider bed but decided the narrower storage would be more of an issue than the narrower bed. As you say, the fridge built into the side units is larger - there's usually just the two of us and we can ram 3-4 days worth of food in but we do tend to get a main meal out every day as well... We did think that sleeping would be an issue but it hasn't been for us, at all. I actually find that I sleep far better in Bart than I do at home... :oops: :lol:

We haven't tried 'upstairs' yet but I do tend to think it would be a bit of a faff getting up, sorting the boards and then bedding down. We do use, and love, the extra full length headroom. The last board towards the rear has the others put on top and we use that extra space for storing the bedding during the day - it works very well for us :D

We did have Easter weekend in Buxton with the roof down (and no awning) because the weather was so atrocious. That WAS cosy! :lol:

You are welcome to come and have a nosey around ours but I'm not sure where you are? We're down near Bristle... :mrgreen:
Paul

Today is a good day - tomorrow will be better
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:30 pm

Not to do with the bed but I advise that you get ventilation put into the mushroom roof. I did not and I regret it.
Tertiary
Bongolier

Post by Tertiary » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:36 pm

JoeC

Yep, I'll second that. It's probably my only regret....apart from not getting a Bongo sooner... :oops: #-o :lol:
Paul

sootyswift
Junior Bongonaut

Post by sootyswift » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi Paul

Many thanks for reply. We are veering towards the 41" bed for many of the reasons that you talk about and your comments have helped confirm that view. Having a decent Fridge is also a key point for us - previous camping exploits with melted butter, sour milk and warm white wine have convinced us that a decent fridge is a no brainer ! :-)

Not quite sure how one actually gets into the bed area as again we didn't really see the set up at JAL, but assume a decent leg up by ones other half would do the trick :D but as you say a bit if a faff and i can only imagine the pulled muscles whilst trying to do that with these old bones :lol:

It is very generous of you to offer the chance to have a look at your set-up, very much appreciated. We are based in Wotton under Edge....where is that in relation to you guys ?...trouble is time is not on our side as we have to make a decision pretty soon...but hey, lets see what we can work out.

Thanks again....

Martin

W
sootyswift
Junior Bongonaut

Post by sootyswift » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks for the top tip JoeC..its on the order form ! :D
Tertiary
Bongolier

Post by Tertiary » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi Martin :D

Spooky? We're in Yate, the working class area of Chipping Sodbury :lol:

I'll send you a pm and we'll arrange something this weekend, if time is short.. :D
Paul

sootyswift
Junior Bongonaut

Post by sootyswift » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi Paul

Blimey...10 minutes down the road....small world and all that ! :-)

If we could work out something for Saturday that would be great - we have the family descending on Sunday which will be pretty full on !..obviously if not convenient, completely understand, and we can possibly work something else out. Look forward to the PM

Martin
Tertiary
Bongolier

Post by Tertiary » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi Martin

Let me know if you have the pm please - I can't see it in my 'sent' folder but I know I did! :D

Saturday after 2pm is fine with us... :D
Paul

Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:24 pm

Tertiary wrote:JoeC

Yep, I'll second that. It's probably my only regret....apart from not getting a Bongo sooner... :oops: #-o :lol:
And I'll third that!!!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
sootyswift
Junior Bongonaut

Post by sootyswift » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi Paul

PM received, thank you very much :D

We'll aim to be with you between 2.00 and 2.30 on Saturday. Will text if we are delayed...

Looking forward to meeting you...and the Bongo :D

Cheers

Martin
Tertiary
Bongolier

Post by Tertiary » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:34 pm

OK mate, looking forward to it =D>
Paul

Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:46 am

I did find the small fridge under my 47" bed would run for 4 days on the leisure batter no problem, and when you opened it, because it's a drawer type, the cold air did not fall out of it as I wood in the larger upright fridges.
Must say I liked the extra room in the larger bed, storage was an issue but never a major problem, we just got better at packing and more selective on what we needed.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
bongo ryan
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongo ryan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:55 am

Hi guys
Found this old post searching for advice about the superwide 47in from JAL. Considering one.
Couple questions I’d be really grateful for info on.
1) Is there enough space for 3 kids to sit across and be safely strapped in?
2) Are the 3 point seat belts ok? What are they bolted to?
3) How much space in front of the bed when down - any space for a dog on the floor?!
Any regrets?
Thank you!
Ryan

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”