Removable kitchen unit

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Adscan
Junior Bongonaut

Removable kitchen unit

Post by Adscan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:05 pm

My Bongo is a standard 8 seater with lifting roof. I want to fit a removable kitchen unit that can be fitted and removed with ease as and when i want to use it for weekends away and then back to standard 8 seater.

What are my options? i have seen the unit that sits across the back but this won't allow for the rear seats to fold flat. Also the side kitchen would be no good as i will have to remove one of the rear seats.

Any input on this?
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Re: Removable kitchen unit

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:57 am

We have a removable kitchen unit that takes the place of the nearside rear seat. We use the front and middle seats to sleep on. We keep the offside seat in place if we need to transport 6 people but if not, we remove it and have more space to move around in the rear. If your rear seats are not split, I would remove the bench and make use of the space it frees up.
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:26 am

Adscan wrote:My Bongo is a standard 8 seater with lifting roof. I want to fit a removable kitchen unit that can be fitted and removed with ease as and when i want to use it for weekends away and then back to standard 8 seater.

What are my options? i have seen the unit that sits across the back but this won't allow for the rear seats to fold flat. Also the side kitchen would be no good as i will have to remove one of the rear seats.

Any input on this?
Are you hoping to cook in tbe Bongo or would you be happy removing it and using in the driveaway awning when rear seats wanted as part of a double bed?
Adscan
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Adscan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:15 pm

I think i will remove and use it in the awning.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Adscan wrote:I think i will remove and use it in the awning.
This (click on thumbprint to enlarge) was cheap as chips to make from ply and roofing batons treated with Sadolin. It is very light so easy to take out when back seats need to go flat. You can either leave the bottom locker in place ir else take it out and latch it on to the top of the top unit so you have a counter on which to rest a cooker whilst the rest provides storage. An interesting feature is the use of custom made headrests which fit over the back flip up seats and also serve to lock the top unit into place so that it doesn't move when the pull out tray is used whilst cooking etc under the tailgate. If you got/made an enclosure for the raised tailgate area you could do some very quick set ups.

scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:40 pm

Adscan wrote:I think i will remove and use it in the awning.
How about one of these?

2 burners, sink, fresh and waste water tanks, cool box and Camping Gaz bottle holder.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:49 pm

Jeebers scanner - where'dya dig that up from. I think its probably over the max towing weight for a Bongo isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, what an interesting looking unit. Never seen anything like that before :roll:
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:56 am

mikeonb4c wrote:Jeebers scanner - where'dya dig that up from. I think its probably over the max towing weight for a Bongo isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, what an interesting looking unit. Never seen anything like that before :roll:
It came with my Bongo and has barely been used. It isn't that heavy - I can lift it on my own and has a double ended "cigar lighter" lead to plug into the vehicle electrics.

It was made by a company called OTC (Oxted Trimming Company) and they cost over £700 new.

It's sat in my garage doing nothing.
Adscan
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Adscan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:24 pm

scanner wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Jeebers scanner - where'dya dig that up from. I think its probably over the max towing weight for a Bongo isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

It came with my Bongo and has barely been used. It isn't that heavy - I can lift it on my own and has a double ended "cigar lighter" lead to plug into the vehicle electrics.

It was made by a company called OTC (Oxted Trimming Company) and they cost over £700 new.

It's sat in my garage doing nothing.

You looking to sell? Interested if so.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:34 pm

PM sent to you.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”