DIY conversion... and so it begins.

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: DIY conversion... and so it begins.

Post by helen&tony » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi
I guess from the pictures that you're sleeping in the roof tent!
Have you thought of using coloured wood dye?...it looks spectacular when lacquered and, of course , with a good varnish, it's very durable.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:49 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:I would be wary of the oil/coating choice cause it is going to be horrible sleeping in a chemical soup. It looks really well done, you are obviously skilled as a wood worker.
Indeed BB123. Not sure from the look of it that they're planning to sleep downstairs mind you.

Hopefully, googling all this will prove educational :-)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:27 pm

We oil our oak dining table. Now it is a good few years old it is low maintenance, resists spillages and looks good. It isn't solvent based so there are no noxious fumes. But, big but, in early the days the wood was thirsty and needed more frequent treatment though always very sparing and not quite so impervious. Fine for a table, or even worktop but blooming hard work all over the panels and in nooks and crannies. Great if you could skip straight to the well-oiled stage.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:53 pm

There's some experts on the 'Well Oiled Stage' to be found on here. :lol:

One or two can indeed skip quickly to it. :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:27 pm

cmm303 wrote:We oil our oak dining table. Now it is a good few years old it is low maintenance, resists spillages and looks good. It isn't solvent based so there are no noxious fumes. But, big but, in early the days the wood was thirsty and needed more frequent treatment though always very sparing and not quite so impervious. Fine for a table, or even worktop but blooming hard work all over the panels and in nooks and crannies. Great if you could skip straight to the well-oiled stage.
And that's oak, not ply. Is there any possibility ply might take umbrage at having lots of oil rubbed into it?

Very readable thread here about various ways to finish birch ply. I liked the PVA/Danish oil/lacquer finish, though the thread is about loudspeakers not campervan interiors!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-wa ... shing.html

And this thread discusses some interesting stuff called Osmo oil:

http://community.screwfix.com/threads/r ... ood.23561/

Which I found to have very impressive reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osmo-Polyx-Hard ... B0058BC1T4

P.S. And whatever Bob might suggest, I wouldn't recommend using cider for sealing the plywood as all it seems to do is loosen things :lol: 8)
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:42 pm

Wow thanks for all your input thats great!!!.....

the concensus online AND my family AND some of you it seems is Danish Oil so we have winner. It needs to be done and dry and ready a week today so id best hurry.... i havent finished building it yet!!

Thanks again for all your help.... more photos soon

EDIT: Yes we will be sleeping upstairs most of the time with a three quarter sized 'emergency bed' downstairs in case its too windy for the AFT to be up
"Tents aren't soundproof" - '95 2.4DT AFT - "Buddy"
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:16 pm

for my 2 pennies worth...
I built a teardrop trailer the year before last and wanted a "classic" look, so had ply sides and aluminium over the top. I used Danish Oil on the sides, it took quite a few coats, but once dry (it stayed sticky for a few days), it felt fantastic, like a varnish. As it soaks into the ply it looks fantastic too. The water ran off fine too without soaking in. So yes, i would say oil, and keep on top of it as recommended above.
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:48 am

callum wrote:for my 2 pennies worth...
I built a teardrop trailer the year before last and wanted a "classic" look, so had ply sides and aluminium over the top. I used Danish Oil on the sides, it took quite a few coats, but once dry (it stayed sticky for a few days), it felt fantastic, like a varnish. As it soaks into the ply it looks fantastic too. The water ran off fine too without soaking in. So yes, i would say oil, and keep on top of it as recommended above.
Cool... thanks for that... how did you apply it? brush? lint free cloth? roller?
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:45 pm

I started with a cloth, then wife took over with a brush, but quicker and looked the same. I don't trust myself with a brush though!
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:48 am

Well... the Danish Oil went on beautifully.... pretty smelly though gonna leave it another day or so. Really impressed with the finish and I feel like I can actually walk on the floor now :)
Will post some more photos soon

I have another question though... one which i asked in a previous comment but it seems to have been mised... or maybe no-one knew the answer... aaaaaaanyway here goes again..... can I trickle charge my leisure battery whilst simultaniously draining it? The LB is not connected to the SB so we'll only charge it when we're on a powered camp site.... but we'd still like to use the things that are hooked up to it via an inverter.... see one of my previous comments on this thread for the wiring diagram....

cheers and thanks again for all your help/advice/humour/patience :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:48 am

Yes you can have a power supply "charging" the battery but in reality any load you also have on the battery will reduce the amount going to the battery so it charges slower. This is the normal configuration.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:08 pm

BuddyBongo wrote:Well... the Danish Oil went on beautifully.... pretty smelly though gonna leave it another day or so. Really impressed with the finish and I feel like I can actually walk on the floor now :)
Will post some more photos soon

I have another question though... one which i asked in a previous comment but it seems to have been mised... or maybe no-one knew the answer... aaaaaaanyway here goes again..... can I trickle charge my leisure battery whilst simultaniously draining it? The LB is not connected to the SB so we'll only charge it when we're on a powered camp site.... but we'd still like to use the things that are hooked up to it via an inverter.... see one of my previous comments on this thread for the wiring diagram....

cheers and thanks again for all your help/advice/humour/patience :)
Excellent news. Looking forward to seeing pics when ready, and hope you have a great Christmas and that the smell subsides enough for you to enjoy Christmas Day lunch sat in the Bongo :lol:
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:42 am

Lots of talk about the charging thing here,
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/ ... 50166/?p=0

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”