Newby - Need 3 x 3point belted seats in rear...

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Mooglet
Junior Bongonaut

Newby - Need 3 x 3point belted seats in rear...

Post by Mooglet » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi Folks,
You guys all seem so knowledgeable that I want to ask what might be a really daft question...

The TL:DR version - Can we get a Bongo camper with mid kitchen, mushroom roof AND 3 x 3 belted seats in the rear that will convert to a bed?

If you need more info:
After years of camping we have decided to upgrade to a camper. I love bongos but we must have 3 x 3 point belted seats in the rear of the van. They must be safe seats, ideally proper car seats (crash tested) rather than the wooden frame and foam pads that I see on most vans. This is because the van would be our main family vehicle and the hubby works with children, sometimes being required to transport them. They have to sit in the back and I'm pretty sure in 3 point belted seats (i remember considering this when we got our current car). We have two kids of our own and my mom might come with us sometimes so the seats would be helpful for us too. Ideally, as we want to be able to sleep in the van, rather than also putting up a tent on overnight stays, so the seats will still need to convert into a bed. We'd still like a kitchen area (hob and fridge) too and wanted a mushroom roof for the kids to sleep in. We are prepared to sacrifice something (eg the sink) to get in the 3rd belted seat.

We have a budget of around £10-12K but am asking for too much? A friend with a Toyota camper suggested we'd need to go bigger to get the 3 seats in, as a Bongo wouldn't be wide enough. Any help, pictures or links to suppliers that can do (we aren't handy) would be great.

Thanks in advance.
weebrian
Bongolier

Re: Newby - Need 3 x 3point belted seats in rear...

Post by weebrian » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:22 pm

My JAL conversion meets your spec except for the fact that it only has two seat belts which use the original mounting points. I've had a look at mine, whilst you could probably squeeze three in the back, I can't see how you would fit a third 3 point belt. I think the best you could manage would be a lap belt which is far from adequate for your purposes.
Mooglet
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mooglet » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:35 pm

Thanks Weebrian. We've just started talking to JAL so I will ask them. I have seen a 6 seater conversion by Budget Bongos which might work for us but we're in the Midlans and they are down south so its a long way to go. Hoping to find somewhere more local. How have you found buying via JAL?
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:16 pm

Reply by PM
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:17 pm

You might try Imperial Car Company in Poole. Very nice conversions which usually leave the standard rear seat in place. This normally has two 3 point and one lap strap but I would guess you're not the first to ask them for a third 3 point. They also flatten the upholstery in the seat so that it's more comfortable to sleep on.
Mooglet
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mooglet » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:02 pm

Thanks Poohbear, good suggestion and they have confirmed they could do a lapbelt, but not a 3 point one. Unless someone comes along with a better suggestion we'll need to double check with the employer about exactly what we need. :)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Consider a bongo with the fold up, gull wing style, rear seats. Keep middle bench and one of the rear fold up seats. Gives 3 factory 3-point belts. Replace other rear seat with rear-side conversion. Sleeping could use mid+front seats or mid-to-rear construction beside kitchen.

Another alternative. If you don't expect to swap frequently between camping and kiddy carrying, you could consider a removable rear kitchen. Swap kitchen and rear bench as required. Seats are heavy though.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Mooglet
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mooglet » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks for those ideas chris. I was thinking about a single seat somewhere. I haven't seen a pic of one with that layout but I'll have a hunt around. I'll also talk to the hubby about the removable kitchen, we'll only camp a few times a year so that could be an option, but he is very territorial over space in the garage!! :lol:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:35 am

Seating options:

cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:05 pm

Mooglet wrote:.... I'll also talk to the hubby about the removable kitchen, .... but he is very territorial over space in the garage!! :lol:
strange male behaviour, :oops: NOT :P
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Mooglet
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mooglet » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:52 am

Thank you all for the replies, really helpful. thats a great visual Simon Jones!

At the moment we're looking at a mid conversion, keeping the original back seat with 2 x 3 point seat belts and 1 lapbelt. Work have said that'll be fine.

We've been to meet G&P already, and are off to see JAL on Friday. We liked one at G&P but there was a lenghty wait for a machine but we'll go back to them if we don't go with JAL. Fingers crossed we'll have an order and layout sorted by next week!

Thanks again!
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:08 pm

If you fit the larger r&r bed a centre lap belt can be fitted, seating can still be a bit tight, 2 adults and 1 child in the middle at best. Jal fit them.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:32 pm

We have a full width Cannons Forge slide bed ( with gas struts ) which uses the original Bongo seat belts.We had three inertia belts and headrests installed. The central one has a reel attached to a strong welded bracket on the bed frame. The belts were fitted by Cannon who also installed the bed . They did not charge for the transfer of the belts or installing the bed
I would not fit a lap belt under any circumstances - - - -
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
Mooglet
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Mooglet » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks folks, we're meeting Phil at JAL today so I'll be discussing the options with him. Good to go knowing what the choises are so we don't have any false expectations.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:16 am

Forgot to add if you do go for the wider r&r bed and use the existing rear belts you sacrifice quite a bit of cupboard storage space,
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”