rock and roll bed

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

spookmaria
Bongonaut

rock and roll bed

Post by spookmaria » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:23 am

Has anyone out there put gas struts on their rock and roll bed o make it easier to close and open? I know size and and length would depend on bed chosen but just looking for any ideas from people in the know as we are new to this and are going to do the conversion ourselves.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: rock and roll bed

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:34 am

In general, gas struts tend to be installed such that they only provide assistance in one direction such as on a tailgate/boot lid. The thing opens easily but you have to apply a lot of force to close it again. Apply that to a r 'n' r bed and you may find that going to bed in the evening will be a breeze but packing up in the morning would be much harder :)

A well designed frame with good quality fittings should be able to be operated single handed without too much trouble.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Cannons Forge beds are offering a gas struts upgrade to the beds they originally fitted to Bongos. £50 fitted doesnt sound too bad and so I think I might get it done . It is the initial lift up of the middle frame from the flat position that is a slight hassle and the gas struts apparently make a huge difference
Not sure if they would work on other manufacturers products but mught be worth asking - - -
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Well i went ahead and had one of the struts fitted ( a pair is def. not needed ) and it makes returning from flat bed to seat position now really easy. Mine is a full width bed and one of the early Bongo versions produced by Canon so is relatively heavy. .
Getting the sections into the bed position is just a matter of pushing down on the middle section to compress the strut . It was the morning 'lift' to get it back into the seat position which was annoying me so now I get a 'push up' assistance from the strut.
It only took him half an hour to fit He also made other upgrades to the hinge bolts at no extra cost which was very decent of him
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:06 pm

take it easy drive a bongo
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Wellhouse produce or sub contract high quality kit
It says on the vid £1200 plus 20% VAT for 3/4 and £1300 plus 20% VAT full width plus ,I presume, fitting costs .
This price seems to be for the frame only. I presume you need to add plywood panels and upholstery ( foam and covers) which begins to add up to lots and lots of cash!
Titan make interesting products too and the Roy Woods transits feature pull tested versions http://www.titanbeds.co.uk/

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”