Converting my tin top

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

john787030
Bongonaut

Converting my tin top

Post by john787030 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:35 pm

hi I have a bongo tin top and want to convert it to a motor home , where do I start? Any help appreciated.
Colin H F
Supreme Being

Re: Converting my tin top

Post by Colin H F » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:41 pm

there are profesional converters around had my first tin top done by a company but there not in buisness now
prior owner of >>>>1999 2.5 diesel ex tin top &FORD FREDA 2000 2.0 LTR PETROL
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Pop your location in your profile so folk can recommend some companies in your area. Alternatively you could convert it yourself if you have the tools and skills.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:16 am

You can buy a kitchen pod for about £1000
Remove rear bench and bolt in place job done
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:08 pm

Gasy wrote:You can buy a kitchen pod for about £1000
Remove rear bench and bolt in place job done
A lot less than that............:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-BONGO-N ... 1436413571
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:46 pm

^^^^
That price is just for the base unit cupboard

No high side cupboard
No table
No electrics, 240 or 12
No battery charger , hook up
No cooker
No gas piprwork
No gas bottle
No sink
No water pump
No water butts

Just a large wooden box with a big hole in it
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Surely that's for all the components as the tranzwagon one's basic bit is £399?
Colin H F
Supreme Being

Post by Colin H F » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:39 pm

"And comes as seen in the pictures,Fully Assemble " this is what the add reads
prior owner of >>>>1999 2.5 diesel ex tin top &FORD FREDA 2000 2.0 LTR PETROL
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:05 am

john787030 wrote:hi I have a bongo tin top and want to convert it to a motor home , where do I start? Any help appreciated.
If you want a lifting roof I would just sell it and buy one as they cost a lot to fit.
Conversions can cost for £100 to thousands give us a better idea of what you need and we will show you some ideas
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:04 pm

I have a tin top with a full rear conversion. Its got its drawbacks but so does any design as Bongo's have limited space and tin top's lack the storage space a rising roof gives.

I would use it for a few camping trips and work out how you want to arrange the space. As you do not have a roof to sleep in, you sleep downstairs and the conversion needs to give you enough free space. I went for a rear conversion because I found one second hand and I wanted the full Bongo width to give some floor space.

A removable conversion is a good idea in a tin top. One that can be lifted out and put in an awning, giving you the full width and length. I had a Stimpson Explorer kitchen in a box that could be used in or outside the Bongo for several years. I only changed to the conversion when I found one with a fridge which is the best thing about it. Mine is operated from inside the bongo which I find a pain a lot of the time. I would prefer to be able to cook from outside and load the fridge after I have packed the Bongo. Its great though if its raining and you can sit inside with a coffee. Also you can go back to bed with the coffee on a really horrible morning.

Unless you get a real full conversion, I would not bother. Mine has the fridge and storage cupboard both useful. A two burner stove can be used just as easily on a sturdy bench and a sink has no real advantage over a washing up bowl. You can run a power cable through the gap in the tailgate for the electricals. I still cook outside a lot on a gas BBQ as I do want the ghosts of bacon butties haunting the Bongo.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:14 pm

The first thing I did was to fit a leisure battery. You then have lights, window blinds and a powered cool box. All useful if you are camping with no power. With that comfort levels rise and are on your way to a motor home.

With mine I can manage a festival in relative comfort and be sure to have the power to start again.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:34 pm

I have a tintop too. I've had a leisure battery fitted for the sockets, rear lights etc. I've also got a Fiamma 45s wind out canopy, although it does rattle while driving, despite best efforts. I camp on my own with the dog most of the time but sometimes need 8 seats. I replaced the rear bench seat with gull wing seats and leave one down withe the bed made up. That leaves space for a porta potty at the side- just. I have a Stimson explorer kit and think it's wonderful. I use a quechua base tent as my kitchen/storage area on site.

I would not bother converting a tintop or adding a roof. When the time comes I plan to get one with a roof and conversion but I'm in no rush. I now know exactly what I'll want at that time but Tintin is a good'un so I'll wait ... :D
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”