help with seats

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

brettbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

help with seats

Post by brettbongo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:41 pm

Just wondering has anyone tried cutting there seats down to fit alongside a side convertion reason being had a new baby and need somewhere to put baby seat and don't wanna spend money on crash tested bed x
Puma931
Bongolier

Re: help with seats

Post by Puma931 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm in the process of modifying (upholstery) one of my rear seats. I'm going for a rear side conversion, so have removed the rear seat and will keep the "new" leather middle seat.

To narrow the seat frame will involve quite a bit of welding and you also need to think about narrowing the runners! Quite a bit of work IMO, but possible.

brettbongo wrote:Just wondering has anyone tried cutting there seats down to fit alongside a side convertion reason being had a new baby and need somewhere to put baby seat and don't wanna spend money on crash tested bed x
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:56 pm

Saw a couple of vans at the bash with the Middle seats cut down from 3 to 2 seats, and the seats were then reversed to face the rear seat looked good but don't know who did the mods, but it can be done and done very neatly from what I saw, sorry it's not of more help hopefully someone will post.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 am

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 47&t=37365
bottom of 1st page.

We had our cut down as part of the conversion . which was done by clearcut conversion.
but seem to remember some a few years back doing there own try a search .
take it easy drive a bongo
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:18 am

I cut down a middle seat to 2 bums wide, and moved the rail over. If you have any experience in fabricating in steel then it's reasonably straightforward.

Photos and words in this thread
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Bongos are ideally suited to rear kitchen layouts and are only just wide enough for two to sleep comfortably side by side anyway.

Why mess about with side conversions and chopping down nice seats?

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:11 pm

dave_aber wrote:I cut down a middle seat to 2 bums wide, and moved the rail over. If you have any experience in fabricating in steel then it's reasonably straightforward.

Photos and words in this thread

when you click on it dave it says the topic dosnt exist.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:09 pm

Ah, the original post has been culled - happens sometimes as the server the forum resides on does not have infinite storage capacity.

My web album of all things seat related is here

Frank - in answer to your question - I wanted to retain the practicality if a van and reckoned on having the full floor length available was a better compromise for my needs (skis, lengths of timber / pipe, etc) - I can whip out the seat and the bed module easily, and have a narrow van if required. Mrs A and myself certainly don't fall into the racing snake category of body shapes, and we find a 1.1m bed plenty wide enough with a side conversion. One aspect which can help is that the cupboard door I have used is a tambour one, so i can slide it open and chuck a spare pillow in the bottom for more elbow room if required. What I have re-assembled is still a pair of "nice seats", certainly a lot more comfortable to sit on than a typically dead flat RnR bed.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”