Cheap as chips - my trusty old camping units

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Cheap as chips - my trusty old camping units

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Not sure if this will work as I'm just getting back into putting pics on Photobucket. This (link below) ought to be a slideshow of pics I took this summer of the boot locker, underbench drawer and headrest collection I made when I bought my Bongo 8 years ago and that has served me very well since. Cheap ply and treated unsawn roofing batons, screwed and not glued, then brushed with Sadolin (tailgate locker) and sprayed with Bongo Silent Silver (underbench unit). The units are very light to carry as a result. The rails for the drawer unit were standard bits from B&Q than are quickly drilled and fitted using longer versions of the existing screws used to hold the plastic trim under the middle bench seat. The headrest stanchions lock the boot locker in position so it is rock solid when the pull out shelf is being used to have a cuppa etc sitting under the tailgate.

The Breeze blocker hanging over the tailgate hints at the tailgate awning I wish someone would make (but someone might be considering that right now - hush hush ;-) ). With that stowed in the bottom bit of the tailgate locker, you could create an enclosure to set the other bits up in and then the seats are quickly ready as a double bed.

http://s185.photobucket.com/user/mikeon ... t%20drawer

8)
notlob
Bongolier

Re: Cheap as chips - my trusty old camping units

Post by notlob » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Slideshow works a treat Mike.

The whole set up looks great but the bit that interests me most is the underseat drawers. Should have got a better look at how you did those at Allithwaite earlier this year, but maybe next time.

Dave
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Cheap as chips - my trusty old camping units

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:32 am

notlob wrote:Slideshow works a treat Mike.

The whole set up looks great but the bit that interests me most is the underseat drawers. Should have got a better look at how you did those at Allithwaite earlier this year, but maybe next time.

Dave
There's absolutely nothing to making the rails it goes on. You can then build as simple a box as you like. If it's one you want to lift out complete with contents then I'd recommend a secure lid and suitcase type handle as it means you can pull it out from underneath the bench and take it out like a suitcase without spilling contents. The tailgate locker is incredibly useful though especially with slide out shelf. Keeps everything organised and gives you a parcel shelf for brollies, hiking sticks, cushions, hats, and kettle. I hook a bungee strap between the units carry handles and that keeps everything in place.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”