Does Nobdy want To Sell A Conversion???

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Does Nobdy want To Sell A Conversion???

Post by Mark Elvin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:20 pm

We are trying to get a slimback conversion for our Bongo.

So far we've tried JAL, Northstar, Clearcut & Trazwagon.

JAL aren't interested, say they won't be making any supply only units until September, Northstar & Clearcut don't reply to e-mails or return calls.

So far only Tranzwagon have replied, but they don't think they can make a slimback. :(
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Does Nobdy want To Sell A Conversion???

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:24 pm

What's a slimback conversion?
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:26 pm

haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:16 pm

321 away do a rear conversion like that,Eva is very helpful and will do her best to accommodate your needs.
cavey
Bongolier

Post by cavey » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:40 pm

aitch
Supreme Being

Post by aitch » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:44 pm

Build your own and have what you want in it!!!

might take time and effort but should be cheaper and you will get what you want and need
Be nice to everyone they might be nice back.

Come to the dark side we have chocolate dark chocolate
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:41 pm

aitch wrote:Build your own and have what you want in it!!!

might take time and effort but should be cheaper and you will get what you want and need
Im better off spending the time at work earning
aitch
Supreme Being

Post by aitch » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Fair enough I see where you are coming from but think about what you want / need I had a sink and never used it!!!!!

but wish I had got a fridge and didn't

take your time to g.et it right
Be nice to everyone they might be nice back.

Come to the dark side we have chocolate dark chocolate
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:42 pm

I have the Montague rear conversion from 321 Away and can really recommend it. The most useful thing in mine is the fridge, Cold beer, ice and fresh food outweigh anything else. I also use the sink a lot. The bit I thought I would use most are the two gas rings, but I mainly cook on a gas barbeque outside the Bongo, so as not to smoke everything up inside.

The mistake I made was to have my conversion facing inwards into the Bongo. I was recommended to do it that way, but I would much rather be able to cook standing outside and get to the fridge with the Bongo loaded. It means I cannot pack the rest of the Bongo until the fridge is filled. Good points are that it is useful to be boil a kettle in the morning for a cup of coffee in your PJs and facing inwards does mean it is harder to blow out the gas rings in a gale. But I think the other way would be better.

Another good point with the Montague is that I have a caravan Zig unit and all the switching of power from hook up to leisure battery is done automatically. Plus the leisure battery charging from the engine is also done without any problems or fiddling about with switches.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:57 pm

Celtic Motorhomes might be worth a try.
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:51 am

New Forest Terrier wrote:I have the Montague rear conversion from 321 Away and can really recommend it. The most useful thing in mine is the fridge, Cold beer, ice and fresh food outweigh anything else. I also use the sink a lot. The bit I thought I would use most are the two gas rings, but I mainly cook on a gas barbeque outside the Bongo, so as not to smoke everything up inside.

The mistake I made was to have my conversion facing inwards into the Bongo. I was recommended to do it that way, but I would much rather be able to cook standing outside and get to the fridge with the Bongo loaded. It means I cannot pack the rest of the Bongo until the fridge is filled. Good points are that it is useful to be boil a kettle in the morning for a cup of coffee in your PJs and facing inwards does mean it is harder to blow out the gas rings in a gale. But I think the other way would be better.

Another good point with the Montague is that I have a caravan Zig unit and all the switching of power from hook up to leisure battery is done automatically. Plus the leisure battery charging from the engine is also done without any problems or fiddling about with switches.
We also have the Montague rear conversion, but we have a top loading fridge which means we can cook and access fridge from inside or out. :D

Barry
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:01 am

Just ask a local small kitchen company as they may well make you one
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:20 am

winchman wrote:Just ask a local small kitchen company as they may well make you one
Units are all too heavy
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 am

Why are they too heavy? Its not like you would be exceeding the load rating of the vehicle.
My own is just kitchen chip board and was all built and finished with a table for less than the cost one sheet of that Voringer ply stuff, you also have to careful with some furniture board as whilst its light weight the face is only paper thin so marks easily.
Many of the VW T4s and T5s use Ikea kitchen units as they are so cheap and easy to fit.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Ah! Got it. I made my own cunning and cheap unit in cheap ply. It has a pull out tray for serving/cooking under the tailgate, compartments for coolbox, chilled food bag, single burner suitcase cooker, gas lamp and water container. It is quickly removed do seats can be flattened for use as a bed, and there is a 2nd part that fits under the bed and holds a DIY tailgate awning and two folding chairs. My aim was to keep Bongo useable as a load lugging van as well as optionally carrying a camping unit.

The unit is cunningly held in place by two removable headrests - not normally a feature of the early split seat model. Very cheap and very functional, and not that shabby once varnished (though you could opt to spray it, as I did with my underseat drawer).

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”