Rocknroll bed on runners?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

onewheeltoofew
Bongonaut

Rocknroll bed on runners?

Post by onewheeltoofew » Sat May 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a rocknroll bed safely (ie with seatbelts for two) installed on the bongo runners? I bought my bongo a couple of years ago and it came with a decent enough side conversion + RnR and I still love it. However, when travelling it means all out stuff has to be loaded into floor the space between the front seats and rear seats making access difficult for passengers. I've always felt it would make more sense to be able to slide the seat/bed forward for travelling giving more room loading all our stuff in the back. Anyone know if it's an option?
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: Rocknroll bed on runners?

Post by briwy » Mon May 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Have a look at this thread and see what we did with the standard Bongo seat.
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 47&t=51406
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Mon May 19, 2014 9:59 pm

I was about to add a reply with this link.

Then I checked Briwy's link, and he's linked to my photos too anyway.

You could in principle fabricate a 'current traditional' RnR style bed (which isn't really a RnR bed, ask VW T2 people to show you! - i digress.). What would make it tricky is that you would in effect have to use 2 sets of runners, one for the front / seat bit, and one for the rear / top of bed bit. Ideally you would want them to stay locked together as one complete unit and slide forward in one go, then slide apart to flatten out the bed. I suppose you could move the seat forward by a) Pull the seat base forward to the 'bed' position, then b) Fold the bed by sliding the rear end forward. 'snail style'
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
onewheeltoofew
Bongonaut

Post by onewheeltoofew » Tue May 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Cheers for the info guys. I was hoping it might be possible on just a pair of runners but I take your point about the problems of attaching the front and rear sections of the bed. Perhaps it's time to look into adapting a set of seats instead, the bed we have at the moment is noting special anyway and perhaps with a shelved partition behind the seats it would make more room and still allow for easy bed making..

On a different note, that set of pictures is fantastic Dave. A real mine of information about how to do it right. It's given me loads of ideas on adapting my pretty basic conversion.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun May 25, 2014 10:41 am

Cannon Forge offer optional full length Koller rails for use with their steel slide bed units but I do not know if they would fit them for use with products from other manufacturers.
Also - Koller products ain't cheap!
http://www.cannonsforge.com/prods/3845/ ... rails.html
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”