running 12v fridge off the mains

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

revjhdavis
Bongonaut

running 12v fridge off the mains

Post by revjhdavis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:57 pm

I've just got my Bongo converted and the supplied fridge is 12v only operation....I had expected (but didn't check!!!) it to be both mains and 12v. As I only intend to use sites with mains hook ups, can anyone recommend a suitable converter that I might fit into the van to power the fridge? I do have one to run a coolbox but it has a fan and is too noisy to use overnight....we'd never get to sleep!

Thanks in anticipation

John
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Re: running 12v fridge off the mains

Post by hembramacho » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Is it a Waeco? If so, you can get a mains convertor.
We have something like this, which as soon as mains is hooked up, the fridge automatically switches from LB to mains.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WAECO-COOLPOW ... HOP:GB:101

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
sdsk
Bongolier

Post by sdsk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:41 am

Depending on how your conversion was done there may be a battery charger/12V power supply already fitted.
If so, when you're on a mains hook up, this will provide 12V for your fridge.
ImageImage
2001 Aero 2.0l JAL Skylift roof & K2 Campers Intrepid Rear conversion in Carbon Fibre
revjhdavis
Bongonaut

Post by revjhdavis » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Andrew

The supplied fridge is a Vitrifrigo and uses 2.83 amps at the max 33 watts. I'm going to explore the link you suggested....is it quiet running, please.

In answer to sdsk....there was no power or gas supplied with the conversion by "Convert Your Van". They supply the appliances and fit them into the required spaces but undertake no electrical or gas fitting work because of insurance limitations...I've run a mains lead in through a grommet in the floor and will connect it to the rcd installation kit that I have.

John
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Its fairly normal to include a 12 volt supply from the EHU that runs the all the 12 volt items by charging the leisure battery at the same time. The exact setup varies between converters of course.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:44 pm

revjhdavis wrote:Andrew

I'm going to explore the link you suggested....is it quiet running, please.
Yes it is. No louder than when the compressor is running via 12v.

Good luck

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:04 pm

revjhdavis wrote:I've run a mains lead in through a grommet in the floor and will connect it to the rcd installation kit that I have.
You should give serious consideration to fitting a proper hookup socket in the side of the van for convenience and safety reasons. Ideally, you want the RCD as close to the mains inlet as possible. If a short developed where the cable passes thru the floor, the whole van could become live and the RCD would be useless. Such an arrangement may not pass any insurance scrutiny either.

Some pointers here: http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... t=eBay+Cut
revjhdavis
Bongonaut

Post by revjhdavis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Simon

Good point and taken on board.....the last time I had a campervan (VW type 2) the mains was already fitted in in the way I described and I didn't give it a second thought! I will get it changed asap. However, I am going to be away for a few nights soon and won't be able to get it done before then....if the worst did happen as you describe, whilst the onboard RCD would offer no protection presumably the one in the mains hook-up post on the site would kick in?

Please reassure me!

John
Simon Jones wrote:
revjhdavis wrote:I've run a mains lead in through a grommet in the floor and will connect it to the rcd installation kit that I have.
You should give serious consideration to fitting a proper hookup socket in the side of the van for convenience and safety reasons. Ideally, you want the RCD as close to the mains inlet as possible. If a short developed where the cable passes thru the floor, the whole van could become live and the RCD would be useless. Such an arrangement may not pass any insurance scrutiny either.

Some pointers here: http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... t=eBay+Cut
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:29 pm

Yes the Camps site RCD should trigger, on C&CC sites I don't have concerns, on other sites however I much prefer to add my own (in line cable) RCD at the post as well as the one in the van!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:56 am

Would one of these fit?
http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/cool/minicool.htm
They are 240v only, I know a man who might have a almost new one for sale.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”