Sky Lift Roof - anyone got one?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Mrs Muppet
Bongonaut

Sky Lift Roof - anyone got one?

Post by Mrs Muppet » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:32 pm

We are just in the process of sorting out the spec for our Bongo conversion by Phil at JAL
Opting for Sky-Lift roof as hubby has a problem with his elbow and could not lift the mushroom roof.
Phil says they no longer can offer an opening to reveal a mesh panel so we have to choose between showerproof mesh or stormproof plastic panels in the roof. Concerned about possible condensation issues with the plastic panel version but worried about rain coming in and soaking bedding with a mesh panel version.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated before wwe decide on which option.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Re: Sky Lift Roof - anyone got one?

Post by Jim the Box » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:17 am

We have the JAL mushroom roof with the storm-proof plastic panel, the mushroom roof is fitted with an air-vent on top, providing your roof is also vented, you won't have any problems with excess condensation.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Mrs Muppet
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Muppet » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks Jim for that reassurance. I feel much happier now.
:D
sdsk
Bongolier

Post by sdsk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:35 am

We have the Skylift with the plastic panel. An air vent is fitted on the top too.

We get some condensation on the inside of the plastic panel and tent material. But probably no more than you would if you slept 2 adults and 2 children in any car over night.

I'd still have liked the option of opening the tent up somehow... It can get pretty warm up there when the sun decides to shine.

It's also quite easy to block the air vent with a sleeping bag, just something to bear in mind.

ImageImage
2001 Aero 2.0l JAL Skylift roof & K2 Campers Intrepid Rear conversion in Carbon Fibre
Mrs Muppet
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Muppet » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:20 pm

Thanks very much. Looks great on your photos. can't wait to get out and about in our Bongo.
As new members, I must introduce us both properly. Will post accordingly. :D
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:48 pm

I have the Skylift roof with the stormproof plastic panel tent as we had major leaks through the mesh zips of my original roof ten during a heavy rainstorm the first year I had my Bongo. (Phil changed the tent over f.o.c.). I was worried about condensation but it's not too much of an issue if you make sure to ventilate the van well before closing the roof. I don't have the ventilation hole in the roof either, as I didn't want the extra height.

It does, however, get very hot in the roof in warm weather and we wish we could still open the mesh to let the heat out - not nice to come back to a 45*C van after a day out... But not having to worry about the tent leaking is more important to me. It would be great if Phil could develop a fully waterproof tent with mesh panels like the original - best of both worlds.
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
Mrs Muppet
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Muppet » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Thank you for that info. Sort of reasssuring but not sure about the 45 degrees! Thank heavens we do not get many Summers like this one :)
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Mrs Muppet wrote:Thank you for that info. Sort of reasssuring but not sure about the 45 degrees! Thank heavens we do not get many Summers like this one :)
Yes, it was during the heatwave! Still hot on a sunny day but usually "only" 30C or so...
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”