Tap problems - please help!

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

tizerdog
Junior Bongonaut

Tap problems - please help!

Post by tizerdog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello there! Can anyone please recommend someone in the Tunbridge Wells area who can help me with problems I am having with my Bongo kitchenette? Since I bought the Bongo (secondhand and with the kitchenette already fitted), the tap has never worked properly so I bought a replacement tap (Comet London Mixer tap with microswitch) and new pump (Whale GP1392 In-Line Premium Flow 12 DC). I've just collected the Bongo from my usual mechanic, who fitted the new parts, and the tap is STILL not working properly! If I'm lucky I can get a dribble coming out of it but mostly it just leaks out of the base of the tap where it emerges from the sink surface. I don't know whether I need new parts, a proper plumber or just someone who knows a bit about Bongos. It seems crazy to keep throwing money blindly at the problem when I daresay it's probably really simple to fix if you know what you're doing. I would really appreciate your advice. :roll:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Tap problems - please help!

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:50 pm

Try AVA Leisure http://www.mazdabongo.com who are 8 miles from you in Newchapel. They sell and convert Bongos and other vehicles.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:06 pm

See if you can get the tap to bits.
We had the same problem and it turned out to be a pressure regulating washer in the tap just needed turning over.
tizerdog
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tizerdog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks Simon. I just googled Newchapel and it's further than 8 miles (apparently, it's between 35-44 mins drive from Tunbridge Wells) but it's useful to know and I'll certainly bear it in mind if I can't find anywhere nearer!
Hi Briwy. I wouldn't attempt to do it myself but it's helpful to know what the problem may be so I can tell whoever does the job. Thank you!
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:16 pm

How does the pipe connect to tap
Did it come fitted to tap
Show me a piccy
I might be able to help
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
tizerdog
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tizerdog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks Gasy! I'll take a picture or two.
tizerdog
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tizerdog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello again Gasy. I've taken pictures but I don't think I am able to post them here. Could I please have an email address to send them to?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:56 pm

tizerdog wrote:Hello again Gasy. I've taken pictures but I don't think I am able to post them here. Could I please have an email address to send them to?
How to post photos here http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =42&t=9285
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
tizerdog
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tizerdog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm

briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:24 pm

That looks like it's a tap for hot and cold with both just piped into the cold, perhaps the wrong kind of tap altogether?
The taps we've had have had just one connection.
tizerdog
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tizerdog » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:43 pm

That's interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way. When I replaced the tap I ordered the same model as the previous tap to make sure it was the right fit. Are you able to advise me on a reliable, similar but cold-only tap? The specs for the current tap (Comet London Mixer) are: "Height when spout folded down 40mm. Hole diameter required in sink or worksurface 27mm. Supply fittings suitable for 3/8" flexible hose."
This is all new to me so any recommendations would be great.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:19 pm

I just replaced my conversion tap for the second time and its a cold only tap with a foldable spout. I just got one from 321 Away as i have a Montague conversion. No reference number or part number on it. The previous one came from Chichester Caravans and was a standard caravan fitting. Again supplied without a part number just in a plastic bag. Only ref is a number 391 stamped on the spout. A point to watch is to make sure the spout is on the correct side of the tap to clear the rim of the sink and the cover. The taps can be found with either a left or right hand fitting'

Any caravan place with helpful staff could find the correct fitting for you. They are rather cheap and plasticy about £20 each. a very easy fit. I did mine myself, it's unscrew and remove tap and the two electrical connections and refit in same order, but its easier if you have the correct part there first. Anyone who is used to working on caravans or camper vans could sort it out for you. A mobile caravan repair guy would supply and fit. Mine is a SMEV unit common to small caravans and campers, but others are similar.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Klunk
Bongonaut

Post by Klunk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:39 pm

Silly question I know but do you have a plastic water tank with a screw top where the inlet hose goes? it's not screwed up tight is it? This will certainly make the water come out slow. It needs to vent I think. :|
Bongo A person or animal that has deep rooted psychological or mental illness.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:14 am

tizerdog wrote:Thanks Simon. I just googled Newchapel and it's further than 8 miles (apparently, it's between 35-44 mins drive from Tunbridge Wells) but it's useful to know and I'll certainly bear it in mind if I can't find anywhere nearer!
Sorry, something freaky happened on google maps when I looked at it.
tizerdog
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tizerdog » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:35 am

Hi Klunk. No, the water bottle is open at the top and not screwed up tight. Simon, no worries! :wink:

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”