Awning on the cheap

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

winchman
Supreme Being

Awning on the cheap

Post by winchman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:22 pm

I am trying to make a basic awning just a sheet and two leg poles, I have all the bits (two legs and cross pole all in fiberglass from a caravan awning and a big sheet with eyelets around the edge) but I need some ideas of how best to fasten it to the van?
I have a full length galv roof rack so could possibly fit it to that?
Its a DIY job as its only for cooking outside if its raining, so the whole idea is on the cheap
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Re: Awning on the cheap

Post by Diplomat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:55 pm

I've achieved this occasionally using a polypropylene tarp going right over the roof and staked down on the far side.

Two porch poles borrowed from a tent and guyed with two guys each pulling outwards and away to ground pegs. No cross bar in my case.

Main problem is if it rains, a big pool collects. It really needs a roof like a gazebo, highest in the middle instead of lowest in the middle.

I've only got a tin top roof but normally have a couple of roof bars in situ. They don't really help with the awning.

My system wouldn't work with a raised AFT unless the tarp could be partly rolled around a length of tubing or a carpet pole and somehowheld to the van gutter.

Other times I pitch a conventional frame tent alongside but still have one of its porch flaps going over the roof.

Looking smart tends to give way to functionality when I'm camped.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks Frank
I too have a tin top but I have this on the roof
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:43 pm

In that case I'd suggest a length of tubing with the awning sheet rolled partly around it, slightly longer the sheet and attached with luggage elastics to thr front most and rearmost roof rack stanchions and not the middle one.

Another tube alongt the outermost side of the sheet with diametrically opposed holes near its ends to drop over the thin spigots normally found on the top of porch poles.

Voila!

You could either carry the whole caboodle rolled up on full length poles or, using sectional poles, assemble it on site in very short time.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Now that's a good idea, I have some spare fiberglass awning poles so I will give it a go
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:41 am

Hi
Strip of flat steel welded across the roofrack uprights near the gutter, and bolt some caravan awning rail to the strip. Sew the round section strip that feeds into the awning rail onto your awning, and put eyelets in the outer 2 corners for the poles. Peg out properly, and no need for a cross pole.
Alternately, fit some figure 8 strips between the rack uprights.
Awning poles break down for storage, and the awning folds up small
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:12 am

You can purchase ten snap eyelets from go outdoors, £2.49. Also you could use clothes line prop poles from Argos, B&Q etc, £6.49 each or canopy poles £17.49 per pair from world of camping. Some bungee cords to secure to the roof, guy ropes attached to the eyelets to fix to the ground. Bongo fury were also selling suction clamps £1 each at the bash which could also be used.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:01 pm

I made something similar from an old nylon windbreak. I cut a section of the fabric and sewed a channel along one edge, wide enough to slide a section of figure-of-8 through. This then clips to the gutter from inside the fabric and makes a nice tight seal. On the loose corners I attach two old tent porch poles, but I leave out one section of each pole so the front edge of the awning is lower than the edge attached to the van. This means the rain runs off and doesn't pool on the fabric - it helps that it's only a small one. I attach two guy lines to the top of each pole and peg them at 45 degrees to hold the fabric taut.

Here's a pic - hope it helps! https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4233_n.jpg
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:23 am

That's the sort of thing I want.
I have some figure of 8 but cant see how it would fit on my gutter?
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Here's my effort served well for ages before i got my fiamma
Always be ready for a Top Up!
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:28 pm

bongobaz wrote:Here's my effort served well for ages before i got my fiamma
Hows it held on to the van?
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:32 pm

winchman wrote:That's the sort of thing I want.
I have some figure of 8 but cant see how it would fit on my gutter?
It just pushes on - angle it upwards first then start at one end and work along pushing it over the lip. It's tight but gets more flexible with use.
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
MarcT77
Bongolier

Post by MarcT77 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:22 pm

winchman wrote:
With Wizardry.... :lol: :^o
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:59 pm

MarcT77 wrote:
winchman wrote:
With Wizardry.... :lol: :^o
I used some bits of bungee elastic from on old rucksac onto the hoops, stayed tight and flap free if pulled tight on guys.
Always be ready for a Top Up!
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:22 pm

I'll be trialing a similar solution to above this summer...

I always carry a large, light weight ripstop basha (Khatmandu trekking make them but they're hard to come by) that I can pitch from trees etc but also had a set of aluminium poles that I would occasionally carry to free pitch the tarp...The tarp itself packs into a sleeve about the size of....say a half baguette ;-) and that includes the paracord I've attached at each corner and a few tent pegs.

The way I pitch it to the Bongo is using 3meters of figure of 8 clipped onto the gutter rail (the last meter or so isn't attached as the gutter rail isn't 3meters..just free, but I needed the length to fit the tarp and it stays put fine). I feed the tarp through the figure of 8 having folded a few inches at a time of it over a length of cord to act as a 'bead' ...as it travels through I just need to keep folding the cord into the tarp but it feeds itself on remarkably easily (I can actually throw one of the guy lines over the bullbar and back to the rear of the car to act as a pulley..I pull the end of the paracord to pull the tarp down the figure of 8, whilst folding the beading cord into the tarp as I go..so can do it single handed). Then I use poles or, or trees whichever one I have !

This way I have a quality basha that isn't specifically a campervan awning..so packs down very small without the bulky integral beading...the cord I have for the beading can also be used for something else if I need...

I noticed btw, that there's a product called the 'bus shelter' that is basically the same idea for VW's but can apparently be pitched with figure of 8 (so will work on the bongo).

Ant.
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”