Vitrofrigo 39i or Waeco CRP-40

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Vitrofrigo 39i or Waeco CRP-40

Post by digitalgypsy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Hello Bongo friends,
My and my Dad are going to be taking on a DIY full side conversion. I'll most likely be buying this appliance kit since it well help to keep the buying process fairly simple: http://clearcutconversions.co.uk/shop/p ... product=74 I probably have a choice over which fridge is included in the package.

I'm just considering how best to keep the fridge running to full potential. I've heard you need to allow adequate ventilation and to direct the fridge's outputted heat away from the unit?

I know Vitrofrigo 39i's compressor unit is built into the base and you can't move it, whereas you can move the compressor from the Waeco CRP-40 to another position. In that instance do you think the Weaco is a better buy? I'm not sure if this is something I really need to worry about?

Many thanks for any advice here. I'll be starting a new topic once we start the conversion. I'm a complete DIY novice but my Dad knows a thing or two (used to be a Senior Design Engineer).

Steve :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Vitrofrigo 39i or Waeco CRP-40

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:38 pm

digitalgypsy wrote:Hello Bongo friends,
My and my Dad are going to be taking on a DIY full side conversion. I'll most likely be buying this appliance kit since it well help to keep the buying process fairly simple: http://clearcutconversions.co.uk/shop/p ... product=74 I probably have a choice over which fridge is included in the package.

I'm just considering how best to keep the fridge running to full potential. I've heard you need to allow adequate ventilation and to direct the fridge's outputted heat away from the unit?

I know Vitrofrigo 39i's compressor unit is built into the base and you can't move it, whereas you can move the compressor from the Waeco CRP-40 to another position. In that instance do you think the Weaco is a better buy? I'm not sure if this is something I really need to worry about?

Many thanks for any advice here. I'll be starting a new topic once we start the conversion. I'm a complete DIY novice but my Dad knows a thing or two (used to be a Senior Design Engineer).

Steve :)
I wouldn't know about all that, but get a top loading fridge for best efficiency whatever you do, as front loading dumps all that precious cold air each time you open the fridge door.
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Post by technophobe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Can you afford to lose good cupboard space?
We have a 35ltr electric coolbox (Halfords) when we park up we pop it outside and connect to either the leisure battery circuit or the hook up. So any noise and ventilation is not a problem. When on the move it is connected to the main 12v battery.
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks for the replies guys,
Yep I heard that top loading fridges are the most efficient, now I know why. If top loading fridges came with the option of a built-in freezer compartment then I might consider.

I'll definitely be going for a compressor fridge over coolbox as much more efficient albeit more expensive :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 pm

digitalgypsy wrote:Thanks for the replies guys,
Yep I heard that top loading fridges are the most efficient, now I know why. If top loading fridges came with the option of a built-in freezer compartment then I might consider.

I'll definitely be going for a compressor fridge over coolbox as much more efficient albeit more expensive :)
Waeco compressor coolboxes have an ice compartment I believe. I'd be tempted to design around a large one of those which can be removed and used elsewhere as an option (maybe in the cool of a side awning at night, reducing power consumption and noise in the sleeping compartment at one stroke).
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:08 pm

I have a regular front opening compressor fridge (Waeco/Coolmatic RPD 65) and let's be rational about this. When I open the door, the fridge runs for an extra few mins to get back to temperature, at worst. It's not like it sits there for half an hour running like mad to get cold again. The actual items of food/drink in the fridge are what the heat exchanger has removed the heat from, not the air - the air counts for almost zilch - it's a very very poor conductor of heat.

99% of conversions come with normal door fridges. It's really not the end of the world :-) - and you get the benefit of shelves! and a freezer!

In answer to your question, buy whichever one suits your installation plan. At the end of the day, once installed you'll never see the back of it again :-)
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:21 am

Vitrifrigo do have the option of a remote compressor - I have a C42L with a remote compressor tucked away on top of a wheelarch.

Click here to see my build photos, there are some good ones of the fridge arrangement.

(Downside is that it's a bugger to change!)
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Dodgey wrote:I have a regular front opening compressor fridge (Waeco/Coolmatic RPD 65) and let's be rational about this. When I open the door, the fridge runs for an extra few mins to get back to temperature, at worst. It's not like it sits there for half an hour running like mad to get cold again. The actual items of food/drink in the fridge are what the heat exchanger has removed the heat from, not the air - the air counts for almost zilch - it's a very very poor conductor of heat.

99% of conversions come with normal door fridges. It's really not the end of the world :-) - and you get the benefit of shelves! and a freezer!

In answer to your question, buy whichever one suits your installation plan. At the end of the day, once installed you'll never see the back of it again :-)
I take your point, but (for me at least) there are several interesting things about a the toploading removeable coolbox approach. Most of them have been touched on already in this thread (and every little helps where energy is concerned, and that's without considering that any defect in the door sealing, or it being closed properly, will cause cold air to fall out, which doesn't happen with a top loader). One other point worth mentioning is (as reported by several owners) that the conventional fridge installation can often conflict with the pull-out bed so that once the bed is deployed, the fridge door can't be opened. Personally, that would drive me nuts!

I was interested to note that my friends £35k T5 Californian had a top loading fridge. I doubt they did that for cost saving reasons. I agree though that getting at stuff in a top loader is generally more tedious than with a front loader.
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:59 pm

Hmmm, from what I have seen of the Waeco top loaders (Waeco CFX 40 for example) is that you only have the option to cool or freeze and not both at the same time. I like the idea of being able to do both at the same time :)

Think I'll plump for fridge with removable compressor just for flexibility. Yep that's a good bet Dave! The Vitrofrigo C42L. It's a good size, still compact and 2kg lighter than similar fridge from Weaco. Shame that Clearcut don't sell it then :?

I originally asked the question after stumbling coming across this page: http://deepredmotorhome.com/kitchen.php See halfway down the page where it says 'Waeco Compressor Fridge Operation. Importance of Ventilation'.

Many thanks for advice :)
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Good point about the bed Mike - my fridge gets "bed locked" but after the 1st occasion we've learnt to work round it (You can raise the end section whilst the other half is still in bed but it's a struggle - or = we just get up! :-) )

Digi - don't worry about clearcut not selling them - just get the sink/taps combo from them. Get the fridge from elsewhere, and the PMS3 (A great spec unit) - that can be had online for sensible money (£180 or less - I swear I've seen it for £160). The water bottle clearcut supply - Halfords sell exactly the same one for £10.

I do appreciate you want to get as much as you can in one order from CC though.

Good luck with the build - keep us informed!
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:12 pm

For buying the C42, I can't recommend Zeb at Penguin Refrigeration highly enough. He's very helpful, and will do a deal with you if you can talk him into it!

http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Penguin Refrigeration are just down the road from me! Will definitely get the 42l from there.

Good shout also Dodgey, think I'll get the sink/hob package. Can source the other stuff from elsewhere.

Cheers all, hopefully starting Monday :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:32 pm

Where else would you get such an excellent discussion other than here on BF. So much good (free!) advice =D> =D> =D>

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”