Charging starter battery

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Charging starter battery

Post by bongo frenzee » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:53 pm

I have a question which might be a bit stoopid but I am not technically-minded in the slightest...

I've been having problems with my starter battery going flat when I've not used my Bongo for a couple of weeks. I've had to call out the AA 3 times now and I'm on my 3rd new battery in 3 years. They all suggested a trickle charger, but I wondered if the starter battery can be charged from the electric hook-up?

I have a full side conversion with a Zig unit which has a switch for 'caravan battery' (leisure) or 'car battery' (starter) - if I put the Bongo on electric hook-up and switched to 'car battery' would this charge the starter battery? The switch is normally always on 'caravan' so as to use the LB and not flatten the starter, so I assume there's a connection to the starter from the Zig unit.

Hope someone can help, thanks!
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
briwy
Supreme Being

Re: Charging starter battery

Post by briwy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:03 pm

It is possible to do it but if as you say you aren't technical then it's probably best not to as it involves playing with the 240v mains.
This gives some idea of what is involved. Second page.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 0&start=30
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:40 pm

The Zig charger is a proper charger for that purpose, and is rated suitably, so yes that is the purpose of the switch!
However just one thing which Zig unit do you have ? One of the latest versions Zig 8 & 9 may just parrallel the batteries together, rather than select an individual battery. If you have a Zig marque 1 the that's fine.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:40 pm

g8dhe wrote:The Zig charger is a proper charger for that purpose, and is rated suitably, so yes that is the purpose of the switch!
However just one thing which Zig unit do you have ? One of the latest versions Zig 8 & 9 may just parrallel the batteries together, rather than select an individual battery. If you have a Zig marque 1 the that's fine.
Geoff, yes that's the case with the CF8 that's in our van, just parallels the batteries. After stupidly flattening both in the middle of nowhere in France when not on hook up that's why I fitted the relay and just leave the switch over to the leisure battery all the time.

Just a thought, with a Willinton kit fitted would it not make sense to charge the starter battery and when that's full would the Willinton click in and start to charge the leisure battery as well?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 01, 2013 9:58 am

Briwy, it should work, but not everybody uses a Voltage Sensitive Relay quite a lot of units just use the ignition IG2 signal to operate the relay, it has some advantages over using a VSR but isn't quite as simple to fit. There is also the point that the S/B shouldn't need a charge in most situations and doing it that way means that the L/B gets more charge cycles this too isn't necessarily a good thing either :-(

Going back to the original post however, the real problem is why is there a current being drawn from the S/B sufficient to flatten it in a couple of weeks ?
It would be better to measure the current being drawn and identify the circuit drawing the current, that can then be fixed and the problem removed.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Wed May 01, 2013 6:17 pm

g8dhe wrote:The Zig charger is a proper charger for that purpose, and is rated suitably, so yes that is the purpose of the switch!
I have the CF9 so it looks like it might not be possible without some electrickery, which I'm not confident to do myself!

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Wed May 01, 2013 6:21 pm

g8dhe wrote:Going back to the original post however, the real problem is why is there a current being drawn from the S/B sufficient to flatten it in a couple of weeks ?
It would be better to measure the current being drawn and identify the circuit drawing the current, that can then be fixed and the problem removed.
The AA man couldn't find a drain and said it was probably just due to it not being used. We'd driven it for a short drive 2 weeks before, but it was at least 4-5 weeks since it had a good run.

Thankfully after a few long drives it's started ok since, just crossing my fingers it'll start for our trip on Friday [-o<

Thanks for all the replies. I guess the answer is just to go Bongoing more often!

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”