rear removeable kitchen.

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

DILLIGAF
Bongolier

rear removeable kitchen.

Post by DILLIGAF » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:41 pm

hi all, does anyone have any plans or dimensions for a removeable kitchen unit to fit behind the rear seats, i don't want to lose the versatility of the 8 seater by fitting anything permanent. :?:
being a philosopher, i have a problem for every solution.
alan
Supreme Being

Re: rear removeable kitchen.

Post by alan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:16 pm

hi seen a few of diy ones pepole have made up but if you just want a basic one make up a box to fit behide the back seat that well hold your cooker etc
some think like this pics about 1/2 way down the page http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 68&t=58230
take it easy drive a bongo
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:53 pm

thanks alan, thats given me an idea, swmbo is not going to be happy if i spend too much so this could put a smile on her face. :lol:
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:14 pm

There are a few ideas on this page + more throughout the thread http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... &start=135
Beyond A to B
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:16 pm

One thing you could consider is an Origo-style meths stove and removable Weaco (or eq.) fridge.
Beyond A to B
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:57 am

DILLIGAF wrote:thanks alan, thats given me an idea, swmbo is not going to be happy if i spend too much so this could put a smile on her face. :lol:
to keep it cheep a cool box with ice packs(or a liter bottel of fozen water) works well for a weekend.
before we had ours conversion done we just had a box with the cooker etc a flod up table an a wind break an a tolet tent for storage on site for the week ends summer camp set up .
take it easy drive a bongo
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:22 am

If you want something that you can take out and cook outside with, then why not consider this:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 68&t=58230

I built it about 5 or 6 years ago before we did our conversion and was ideal as it took up very little space and could be set up in the awning or outside. Haydn has also had some use out of it and added a few more goodies for inside.
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:05 pm

A big thank you to all of you, i really love this forum for all the knowledge you can get from people who've been there and done it, trouble is now my head is so full of ideas, i would like to make something incorperating all the best bits of the units iv'e seen best suited to our personal needs, just hope my woodworking skills are up to the task. [-o<
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 am

I assume you have seen mine?

Made using second hand appliances total cost about £150, four screws and it comes out I can send you a rough set of plans if you are interested?

I assume you have seen this?
http://www.stimsondesigns.com/index2.ph ... xplorerkit

As far as I am aware its no longer made

But I know some one who is just starting out manufacturing a similar one but a lot more robust, I have seen a proto type and its superbe, it locks and the components are much higher spec its so well made you can stand on it, its made from galv steel but also powder coated so looks very smart, PM me if you need any more info
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks winchman, your unit looks great, i've seen the stimson kit on here and it looks very well made, but i think out of my price range, i'm not the best joiner in the world(understatement) so i have got a friend who is a fantastic joiner to build it for me, once i settle on a design. What i've got in mind is a mix of the stimson, simon jones self build and yours if you don't mind me pinching all your ideas! What i'm thinking of is something that will allow me to lower the rear seat back into a bed but still retain all of the features you and simon have in your units, maybe a swing out or fold out table/worktop, with cooker etc fitted into it. I've got time to draw plenty of plans as when he's not working he's shooting and beating right through till the end of the season so any suggestions will be gladly received. Brian. =D>
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 am

Whilst DIY is no problem for me it was cheaper and quicker to get a local kitchen unit manufacturer to make it.
I would make a card board one first.
With mine I fold the front seats down then I can leave the rear as is and still sleep two adults.
If you need to fold the rear seat flat it severly limits your options as you havent got much space left.
I am quite happy for you to copy my design I have given several drawings away allready
Whats your budget? the New portable kitchen I spoke about isnt expensive I believe it will sell for about £300 but when you consider the cost of the cool box, stove tap sink etc I thought it was good value? They also mentioned they would be selling off a couple of proto types cheap after Christmas as the design has been re worked a couple of times to get it right.
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 am

That does sound like a good price, any idea what it looks like? does the maker have a website?
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:01 am

Its similar to the Stimpson but a lot more robust, it was designed for the 4x4 market I believe, web site has no pictures yet as they dont want to show the proto types as whilst they are good they are unfinished.
I am told full production starts in Dec 12.
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks, could you post on here when its up and running and i will keep an eye out for it?
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 am

DILLIGAF wrote:Thanks, could you post on here when its up and running and i will keep an eye out for it?
Yes will do.
I know the person who has set it all up so will let you know.
They are sheduled for magazine reviews in the new year,whilst I was a fan of the Stimpson Explorer I feel this is a much better unit as its just so well made, its made on a CNC punch Press and folder so its well formed, then rivited with Stainless rivits as in there trials the welded units snapped a few welds whilst the rivited ones didnt fail. Infact I think all the fastenings are stainless
At a glance its similar to the Stimpson but once you start looking it has many different features, it was designed for 4X4 expaditions so its very robust.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”