JAL Conversions

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Furydav
Bongolier

JAL Conversions

Post by Furydav » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:47 am

Hi, im awaiting delivery of a bongo via JAL who will also do a full conversion for me.

Any views , good or bad re these conversion would be appreciated.

thanks
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Re: JAL Conversions

Post by dandemann8 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:49 am

We purchased ours from Phil a few years ago, first class vehicles he sells and although ours isn't converted the ones I've seen are top notch :wink: :D
Bongo no more........... ;-(
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:02 pm

I have a JAL converted Bongo and it's a super vehicle, the chap who did it's last MOT was very impressed at its condition. Re the conversion, my advice would be to be as clear as possible about what you want, especially if you want something non-standard. Phil's converters did a good job adapting the standard side conversion to what we wanted.
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
Bainsy
Bongonaut

Post by Bainsy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:37 pm

I have a JAL side conversion with the super wide bed. Highly impressed with the quality of the conversion and the van itself.
Nigel

New Shape White over Silver V6 LPG JAL Side Conversion Mushroom Roof
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:02 pm

My V6 was JAL converted and UK registered 01/07/2009 .. I bought it November 2011 very little used by the previous owner who used it as a 'day bus' for his fishing trips ...

Strictly my own personal opinion / observations .. I think for the price charged the conversion is not really up to professional standards more like a DIY flat pack conversion and quite crudely done in some quarters ..

The whole 'bus' rattles, the rear (back) door is very ill fitting .. there as been only very limited rust under body protection applied where as maybe it would not have added considerably to the purchase price to have the whole lot treated ..

The car was delivered as being serviced ... as far as I can see from the supplied invoices only the engine oil was changed .. but why not the vulnerable tranny fluid at the same time .. cam belt changed .. but why not the cam .crank seals ..all quite easy and relatively cheap to do at the same time ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
cloudy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by cloudy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:27 pm

I picked up my 2001 2lt aero from phil at JAL in july this year, we had a full side conversion and pop up roof fitted by them, the standard of work in our van was fantastic.
we looked at loads of other vans before commiting to Phil, there work was well above most of the other conversions we looked at! also the van was of a very high standard.
We also opted for the low coolent alarm fitted by them, very well fitted concealed behind dash, well worth the money.

Doubt you will have any problems from JAL.
Give a man a beer, and he wastes an hour, but teach a man how to brew, and he wastes a lifetime.
Furydav
Bongolier

Post by Furydav » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks for the views folks, has any one experience of the mushroom roof?

ta
Cashew
Bongonaut

Post by Cashew » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:51 am

Took delivery of my 2.5 diesel 4WD full side conversion this July, it was also imported by JAL. (I chose the model in transit via photographs). I asked for additional 12volt (cigar type) socket to run off the leisure battery, fitted next to the ZIG CF9 unit, definitely worthwhile fitting one or preferably two of these.
The side conversion (you have quite a choice of type of style and materials etc) is generally very good, a few niggles being one cupboard wont fully open due to the arm rest (wooden table type) stopping it, rear upper cupboard not fully opening when the rear seats are up, but these are small annoyances, on the whole I'm very happy with the conversion and van.
Was advised to have the 'whale' unit taking water in from an outside source and not having fresh water on-board, but in retrospect with my type of camping I would have preferred an under vehicle water storage system, something to do in the future.
I would recommend JAL for importing and converting and am thoroughly enjoying my Bongo, even with it's unsocial drinking habits :wink:

Cashew
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:10 pm

In fairness I bought my Bongo from the first UK owner who may have just gone along with a spec that suited him ..

But for me I have found the lecky side to be very poor with none of the 'expected' camper van items being fitted / nodded ...

The lecky blinds .. radio .. rear power point, all only work with the ignition on .. no extra internal lighting as such, just one 'cheapo' single bulb light fitments to light up the sink /cooker / fridge unit .. no extra 12v (cigarette lighter) outlets anywhere to run things like a LCD /DVD TV .. laptop or what have you, in fact the front ciggy lighter is not even wired up .. (but, that maybe something to do with the (only) previous UK owner ...

The battery tray was not really a quality item quite crudely made / fitted and lacking in size to fit a larger after market capacity leisure battery .. in fact it would have cost a very similar amount to have fitted a tray more fit for purpose ..

Mine as both external water pump inlet and 240volt Zig c.f.9 hook up system...
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:07 am

Hello chaps,
This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know if there is a company which provides JAL's roofs? I figured if the work was not in-house then I could maybe contact the company who makes the roofs.

Thanks in advance :)
Steve
Obi
Bongonaut

Post by Obi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:11 am

I have a mushroom roof on my JAL van. Generally quite happy with the conversion, although could have done with an extra 12v socket in the back.

Loads of room with the mushroom roof, good storage etc. A bit on the heavy side to push up, but overall a good aftermarket option.

No doubting the quality of JAL bongos though.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:26 am

Their conversions may well be better now than then, which would explain Mike's observations. Bearing in mind many say its best to take time deciding on what spec you want, I'd be tempted by a Celtic Motorhomes conversion, as I from all i've seen and heard they are the real deal in craftsmanship.
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 am

Got my V6 from Phil in summer 2011. The van itself is top notch but the conversion is not quite the same. I think you very much get what you pay for, costs have been cut on various parts and some of the workmanship is not very good. I agree that some of the 12v functions could have been transferred to the leisure battery with maybe a couple of extra sockets in the back.

I think the secret is that you think very carefully about what you want before giving the go ahead. Phil is very accommodating and I am sure that he will supply, fit or modify anything you want. You just need to tell him.

As for the mushroom roof, it is very heavy ! I think the struts could be beefed up a bit as when it comes down you have to be very careful not to let it drop. I tried to stop it when standing on the step and nearly broke my arm.
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks for the extra info guys...

I have also heard that JAL's camper conversions are not quite up to professional standards. That said, Phil has BY FAR the best aftermarket roofs out there (not to mention grade A standard Bongos). I am specifically after a manual roof. So I definitely want a JAL roof (mushroom ideally) but then I want to keep my options open for conversions, so many excellent companies to choose from! Phil only provides the mushroom if you also choose a camper conversion as well. And there lies my conundrum :roll:

That's why I asked if anyone knows if JAL's roofs are provided by another company? That way I could possibly approach the company directly but that is probably wishful thinking :P

Thanks bongo comrades!

P.S I agree Mike, Celtic Motorhome conversions are the real deal! I saw one in the flash when I had a bench seat fitted :)
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Another vote for Celtic Motorhomes, quality of conversions is superb and the you get exactly what you want. Jal supplied Bongos are some of the best around, I bought mine from them in January 2007 (and sold it on in January this year). In 2007 Jal did not do conversions so the conversion to my 2.5 diesel aft was done by Elite in Workshop, but I always wished that Celtic Motorhomes had done the Job.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”