voltage sensing split charge relay

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

stefan442
Bongolier

voltage sensing split charge relay

Post by stefan442 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:06 pm

http://www.split-charge-relays.co.uk/co ... relay.html

Anyone used one of these before or recommend me one? Im unsure wether im going to mount the battery at the front or box it in at the rear with 12v outputs for fridge and lights. And a small 240v inverter. So i want something i can put anywhere either at the starter battery end or leisure battery end depending on placement.

If i put the leisure battery at the rear would it be advised to protect the charging cables from the staryer battery with an inline fuse? Similar for amps on subs etc...
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: voltage sensing split charge relay

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Not used or seen this one myself, but I would definitely recommend you mount a split charge as close to the batteries as possible to minimise voltage loss. Many folk go for 'Willinton' kit which can be purchased with all the parts you require.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-BONGO-1 ... 2109wt_980
onewheeltoofew
Bongonaut

Post by onewheeltoofew » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 pm

That'll do the job with a couple of inline fuses etc but it seems a little pricey. I've just got one of those VSRs for a project I'm working on, from here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-727-33-DURI ... 19c90eca24

However as Simon says, the Willinton kit is very well made and a doddle to fit.
stefan442
Bongolier

Post by stefan442 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Good stuff. Much cheaper, im going for the make my own method i think. I have wire, crips and a fuse box. Will need to get an inline fuse though. Probably dirt cheap!

Thanks guys.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:41 am

For an alternative, have you considered simply linking the 2 batteries with heavy cable, and fitting an isolator on the earth connection of the starter battery?

Park up, isolate SB, use things, re-connect SB, start, drive away....
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
stefan442
Bongolier

Post by stefan442 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:05 am

I have a couple of them red ley battery isolators which i will put in regaurdless. But i want automatic and once installed i can forget about. I was going to put to put two battery isolators in the cubby hole under the stereo .
Hanksy
Bongolier

Post by Hanksy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:46 am

ive used VSR's on my VW T5 (which awas an expensive one , about 60 quid i think) , but i also have one on my bongo which i paid about £20 with cables although it looks cheap it seems to work fine

dead easy to install and then just forget about it,
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:38 am

Hanksy wrote:ive used VSR's on my VW T5 (which awas an expensive one , about 60 quid i think) , but i also have one on my bongo which i paid about £20 with cables although it looks cheap it seems to work fine

dead easy to install and then just forget about it,
Hi,

I have a £10.00 VSR, its been in use for a number of years no problems.
TimC
Bongonaut

Post by TimC » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:12 am

The Willinton Ebay Kit above

(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-BONGO-1 ... 2109wt_980)

When parked up with the engine NOT running - will this isolate the starter battery to ensure you can restart the engine even if you run the leisure battery flat, or does it not work that way round?
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:48 am

The relay will constantly monitor the voltage of the vehicles starting battery, when the engine starts this voltage will increase, this rise in voltage is detected by the relay which, after a short delay, activates and allows charging of the leisure battery. At engine shut down the starting battery voltage will rapidly fall and the relay, having detected this, will power down isolating the leisure battery from the vehicles starting battery.

does what it says short answer yes
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:59 pm

I bought a cheap relay kit off ebay and it has worked faultlessly. Just spend a bit time fitting it correctly, making it nice and neat etc. I bought a cheap fusebox, and wired it to the LB then made my own tails up to connect into the original fusebox. Cost probably under £25 in total.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 am

Problem with cheap vsr's is the spike current from a flat lb. A flat 75AH lb, draws a big spike on initial contact closure, (abt 75%) for a few seconds, so a chaep vsr rated at 30A, gets overloaded, everyone has seen fuses that have melted instead of blown, this is why, in sensitive electronics you have quick-blow fuses, most other fuses are able to go over their max current for a rated time, this in turn causes therm to heat up or 'thermal', so instead of a blown fuse, you end with a melted fuse/holder/vsr etc so while vsr's are good, make sure you get a rated unit that is capable of surviving the deep cycling of your lb, in particular now as most people are using 110A, so expect spikes of nearer 80A. So the moral is, either buy a bigger vsr than you need or make sure you dont flatten your lb.

Julian
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 am

Good tip Julian. I didn't know LBs drew so heavily when flat.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”