Alternative Cat Flap. ACF. DO NOT DELETE

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

peterrc
Bongolier

Alternative Cat Flap. ACF. DO NOT DELETE

Post by peterrc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 am

In another post Bongo-Bubble asks Has anyone turned the inner roof/hatch round? http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 47&t=48367
I was thinking along the lines of turning it around, mounting the hinge point above the cab and using the small floor above the cab as a cat flap at the rear. This will not work as the hinged inner roof area will not fit the forward area of the raised roof. I then decided to remove the inner roof and did so as mentioned elsewhere. It was then I noticed that it was possible to turn the inner roof around and mount the hinges at the opposite end. Having done this and refitted the inner roof I found no problem accessing the area through the cat flap, now at the rear of the Bongo.
There are a few problems.
The interior light is no longer connected but it should be possible to fit an alternative or reposition.
Some means has to be found to hold the cat flap in the open position.
The 'spring assisters' will need to be repositioned.
The inner floor matress will have to be adapted to cope with the new layout.
Pictures will follow but at present the weather is not AFT friendly.
onewheeltoofew
Bongonaut

Re: Alternative Cat Flap. ACF

Post by onewheeltoofew » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:23 pm

I like the sound of this. Since our twins arrived, I've been thinking of getting the cat flap installed. Was it an easy job to mount the hinges?
Anyway, looking forward to seeing the pics.
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Here are the photo's I promised. They should be self explanatory but any questions please ask.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
It has got to beat 'Bed Boards', 'Cutting & reinforcing'. Not to mention a cheaper alternative to £250.
Sorry about the size of photo. I reduced the size of Pic, on Photobucket, for an avatar and now cannot enlarge.
Peter
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:17 pm

onewheeltoofew wrote:I like the sound of this. Since our twins arrived, I've been thinking of getting the cat flap installed. Was it an easy job to mount the hinges?
Anyway, looking forward to seeing the pics.
Hi, Mounting the hinges is no problem. There is a corresponding attachment bolt at the opposite end of the inner roof. You have to look, it may be covered with material. The biggest job is repositioning the spring struts. I have moved the bottom mounting which takes the load of the inner roof. I have yet to see if it will take the load of the roof plus matress. If it does not then it means that the upper attachment will have to be repositioned.
Peter
Simon B
Bongonaut

Post by Simon B » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:21 pm

I like that. If I currently had two working hands I'd be giving that a go.

I made some bed boards last year which left a gap at the boot end so the kids could get up and down easier, but your solution is far neater.
onewheeltoofew
Bongonaut

Post by onewheeltoofew » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 pm

That looks great, I didn't think there would be enough room to lift the flap from that end but it looks fine. One thing I can't quite see from the photo, is the small hatch hinged at the back or just resting on its edge?
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:51 am

onewheeltoofew wrote:That looks great, I didn't think there would be enough room to lift the flap from that end but it looks fine. One thing I can't quite see from the photo, is the small hatch hinged at the back or just resting on its edge?
The hatch is hinged at the back. I drilled out the pop rivets on the main section, turned the flap around and redrilled hinge holes at the rear. It would make a neater job if you removed the hinges entireley and positioned them at the other end. The new hinge holes need to be slightly forward to avoid a strengthening fillet underneath. I attached the hinges with self tapping screws which I will leave in place until I am happy with everything. I do not see any reason why you could not leave it loose if you wanted to.
The way I did it there is a lip on the hatch which I use to keep the hatch in the open position using a bracket mounted on the AFT sunshine roof shutter.
Peter
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:14 am

I'd love to see this in the flesh. It's a shame that you lose the skylight, but looks neat, nevertheless.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:42 am

Driver+Passengers wrote:I'd love to see this in the flesh. It's a shame that you lose the skylight, but looks neat, nevertheless.
Hi Matt, let me know when you are there and I will pop over and let you and the family try it out.
It would be a good test and your input would be appreciated.
I am surprised that no one has done it before. If that is the case perhaps we could call it 'The Fife Cat Flap' TFCF.
Peter
markhudski
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by markhudski » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:14 pm

I have two kids (8 & 9) who both want to sleep "up top". So I'm thinking of doing the same but with one small addition... cutting the cat flap in half and fitting another pair of hinges in the middle to make it a bi-fold.

I think this will make it stow away better when open. Any comments on that?

Also on my bongo the main hinges for the inner roof disappear under the material. I'm assuming that the material will need to be cut before the hinges are disconnected. There seems to be no mention of having to do this on the forum. Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Mark
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 am

Hi Mark, a good modification. The material around the hinges should just pull away. Not all bongo's have bolts at either end but this can be overcome. See other posts on the subject.
heavylevy
Bongonaut

Post by heavylevy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:48 am

Please the link below to see how I did it :D
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 27#p565898
cheers
heavylevy
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
markhudski
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by markhudski » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks to both of you.
Mark
markhudski
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by markhudski » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Update: Succeeded in reversing the roof floor! Had hell of a job bolting the main hinges back in again though. The bolts didn't really want to bite and the pistons were working against me all the time. Got there in the end though. Still contemplating whether to cut the flap in half and turn into a bi-fold. There's no going back from that is there? May get a bit of ply or MDF and try that first of all to see whether it works in practice.

Have to say the instructions were spot on even down to using the self tappers for the piston supports. Not sure why they didn't work in the existing holes as the pistons seem to be mounted exactly half way. Been a long time since physics A level!

Mark
wilnx005
Bongonaut

Post by wilnx005 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi Everyone, I just completed this mod today and wanted to add a quick note of thanks for everyone who's added any info. It made the whole process much easier and I can now get some heat in the roof much easier!

Very simple process really, release the board from the top of the van (all 10mm nuts and bolts) unclip the light connector and its out.

Swap the hinges from back to front 13mm and a bit of spray glue to stick any material back down.

Drill out the rivets from the hinges of the hatch, turn it around, mark new holes, pilot drill and then re attach. I used 7mm self tap bolt/screws. The gas struts needed moving 3" I did this on the roof board as I didn't fancy drilling the top of the bongo roof. I just drilled and tapped the aluminium and screwed the ball of the gas struts back in (12mm). Extend the wiring of the light, ( soldering iron & heat shrink) re attach the board and all is done.

I'm just going to get my roof mattress altered and the set up will be complete!

I hope this is some help to other out there! :D

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”