Newbie from Ireland !

For Bongo owners both north and south (and east and west) of the island.

Moderators: Bongoplod, Ian

Merlot man
Bongolier

Newbie from Ireland !

Post by Merlot man » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Hello all .
My name is Brian , I'm based in the Republic of Ireland , co Clare , and I am new to the whole bongo scene .
I've yet to purchase a bongo but I'd really like to meet up with some bongoers on this side of the water to get an idea of what these little buses can do , also , I'd be looking for a good bongo friendly garage over here , I don't mind doing some of the servicing myself but the major protects , timing belt for example, I'd like to give to a competent bongo mechanic or get help / advice on .
My plan is to look for a diesel 4wd pop top
Any advice or help would be great
Thanks in advance
Brian
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Newbie from Ireland !

Post by Gasy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi and welcome
Others will be along soon
There might be a . Ireland section lower down front page
I've a 4x4 diesel great cars
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi Brian
You will not be disappointed when you do get one. I was a VW guy for 30+ years my engine blew for the second time. So took a look at Bongos and bought one. Not looked back since.
They are easy to park and drive and they are pretty. The pop top means you have an upstairs bedroom (and toilet if you want, Bob:) ) And the downstairs for sitting and parties!
I have just bought another unconverted that i intend to restore and fit out to our particular needs.
Hope to get a good few years out of it.
Good luck in your search and choose carefully, trawl through this website for ideas and info it is an information mine.
4WD means its a diesel so you could run it on chip fat too! :D
peridot
Junior Bongonaut

Post by peridot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:18 am

Hi Brian,

I'm a newbie too, just bought a Bongo but not sure what I'm doing with it yet :)

One of the reasons for buying it is to lend it to my Mum over in Dublin, with a view to her getting one in due course, so I'll be interested to learn how you get on.

Dad is ill and probably won't be with us for very much longer so they've had to give up their motorhome. She's a nervous driver but I want to show her that she could manage a Bongo and stay in touch with their old friends doing what they've always loved (they are founder members of the Irish Camping & Caravanning Club).

I think I did come across a reference to an Irish garage with knowledge of these beasts a while ago. I'll see if I can find it again.

Cheers,
Dermot
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:15 am

Very warm welcome. :D
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:30 am

I'm not aware of any Bongo friendly garages in Ireland.

I'm based in Dublin, you can read some of my experiences here:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... p=98009028
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks for the replies gents
I understand that most of the work on these can be carried out by any competent mechanic and I would consider myself handy enough around cars etc , my two main things are the cooling issues and how to prevent them , and changing the timing belt.As I understand it this is a 100,000km service item . A how -to on this project would be great , for example is there a way to lock the two pullies , FIP and camshaft pullies in place when removing the old and fitting the new belt and tensioner ? Is the best assess from above or below the bus ?
As stated earlier I'm on the search at the minute but this is good information to know
All comments at are much appreciated.
Thanks again and fair dues for having such a great forum to help people like me =D>
Keep the posts coming :D :D
Brian

Return to “Ireland”