Registering Bongo in Ireland

For Bongo owners both north and south (and east and west) of the island.

Moderators: Bongoplod, Ian

Printer
Bongonaut

Registering Bongo in Ireland

Post by Printer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:34 am

Hi all

(I also posted this in Bongo Chat so if a moderator wants to merge them no problem but i thought this forum feed would be best for this question)

I recently bought a 1997 2.5L Diesel Mazda Bongo in the UK to take on a trip round Europe. It has a full side conversion with sink, gas cooker, rock n roll bed, table, electric hook up, pop top roof etc etc.

The original plan was to sell it on after the trip but I love it and it has been nothing short of brilliant so now I want to import it to Ireland.

I have a few questions though before I do this.

1. Does anyone on here know of people in Ireland who have this already?
2. Are there any bongo friendly garages in Ireland should anything go wrong?
3.. It is registered as a Motor Caravan on the UK V5 form - will this help me getting it registered as a camper in Ireland?
4. Is there a market in Ireland to sell it on in a few years if I am looking at getting something bigger. (its a great wagon with full service history, a loving owner for last 5 years before me, and runs great... I also just had it waxoyled and undersealed, installed a nice new fridge and bike rack)
5. Finally to all you camper owners and enthusiasts, is this a bad move?.... I don't currently own a car in Ireland so I was going to use this as my everyday vehicle for a year or so until I get another car at home in Ireland. I'm aprehensive in that I could sell it on now and probably get all my money back but I love it so don't want to let such a good camper go!
6. What type of VRT am I looking at paying?

Thanks for the help
Printer
veefour
Bongonaut

Re: Registering Bongo in Ireland

Post by veefour » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Printer wrote:Hi all

(I also posted this in Bongo Chat so if a moderator wants to merge them no problem but i thought this forum feed would be best for this question)

I recently bought a 1997 2.5L Diesel Mazda Bongo in the UK to take on a trip round Europe. It has a full side conversion with sink, gas cooker, rock n roll bed, table, electric hook up, pop top roof etc etc.

The original plan was to sell it on after the trip but I love it and it has been nothing short of brilliant so now I want to import it to Ireland.

I have a few questions though before I do this.

1. Does anyone on here know of people in Ireland who have this already?
2. Are there any bongo friendly garages in Ireland should anything go wrong?
3.. It is registered as a Motor Caravan on the UK V5 form - will this help me getting it registered as a camper in Ireland?
4. Is there a market in Ireland to sell it on in a few years if I am looking at getting something bigger. (its a great wagon with full service history, a loving owner for last 5 years before me, and runs great... I also just had it waxoyled and undersealed, installed a nice new fridge and bike rack)
5. Finally to all you camper owners and enthusiasts, is this a bad move?.... I don't currently own a car in Ireland so I was going to use this as my everyday vehicle for a year or so until I get another car at home in Ireland. I'm aprehensive in that I could sell it on now and probably get all my money back but I love it so don't want to let such a good camper go!
6. What type of VRT am I looking at paying?

Thanks for the help
Printer
1. Yes. Been done only by a few brave souls
2. None that I know of but any decent mech. should be able to manage a Bongo.
3. Yes and no.
4. Not much of a market here for anything. Hard to get cash at the moment. Better market in the UK.
5. If you go to the trouble to import it best to hang on to it.
6. Hard to know. Not an exact science . Would guess €2.5-€3K
Regards
Veefour

Return to “Ireland”