Padded centre console - measurements

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

mikeyr
Junior Bongonaut

Padded centre console - measurements

Post by mikeyr » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:42 pm

Might be my unnaturally bony elbows but was thinking that it would be nice to cover the plastic centre console arm rest with some foam and fabric. I stumbled over this which makes me think they were a factory option? (see PDF near bottom of page on reupholstering)

https://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk ... ongo-tips/

Was this a genuine factory option?

Secondly, I'm sure we can source some appropriate material to continue the very 90's fabric choice in the van but, before I take apart the console, anyone happen to have dimensions for it?

If we can make one successfully then I'll pop up the details here!
mikeyr
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Padded centre console - measurements

Post by mikeyr » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 am

Sorry, should add that is not me being too lazy to measure the actual console but wondered if anyone had existing measurements for a fabric cover!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 am

Certainly looks like a factory option, but I've not seen one. :wink:
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:04 pm

Hi. Its been over 10 years since we posted that factsheet on our website. :) It's the standard centre armrest and was in the 1996 2.5d Bongo we had then.
There's a piece of thin foam under the fabric, which compresses with wear. It would be simple to use a thicker piece of foam. Just remove the fabric as described and you have the pattern piece, which you'd extend to allow for the thicker foam.

Later model Bongos have a lower, flatter centre consul with the plastic top. We have this one on our current V6.
I've just had a quick look at ours and it looks like the plastic part will unscrew from underneath. So you may be able to recover it.

The consuls are interchangeable so you could swop yours
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
mikeyr
Junior Bongonaut

Post by mikeyr » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:29 am

Thanks all - ours doesn't have a padded cover so might just have to bite the bullet and make a template. Can't be too hard can it? :lol: Will report back at some point when get a chance to give it a go.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”