Painting Steel Bongo Wheels?

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Painting Steel Bongo Wheels?

Post by Bongo Brain » Tue May 28, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before - but I couldn't see it on here anywhere...
My Bongo has the standard Mazda steel wheels - and they're rather filthy looking. I tried some special wheel cleaner spray, and a lot of elbow grease, but it didn't work well at all.

Now I know you can get alloy wheel paint, but is there a special paint for steel wheels, that anyone else on here has used?
I don't really want the expense of buying refurbished or new wheels, I'm looking to see whether I can tidy up the ones I have
Years back, on my first ever car, I re-painted the alloy wheels on that, and it ended up looking pretty good

Cheers all :D
jimmo62
Bongolier

Re: Painting Steel Bongo Wheels?

Post by jimmo62 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:31 am

I used Hammerite Smooth spray after wire brushing and it's been on for 5 years now.
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Wed May 29, 2019 8:56 am

jimmo62 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:31 am I used Hammerite Smooth spray after wire brushing and it's been on for 5 years now.
Cheers for that Jimmo62. Was it a Hammerite specifically made for painting steel, do you know?
I've seen a few brands of wheel paint out there, but they don't always state whether they're for Alloy or steel...
Come to that - does it actually matter?

The brake dust is so heavily ingrained onto the surface of my wheels, I just can't shift it :o
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 29, 2019 4:39 pm

jimmo62 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:31 am I used Hammerite Smooth spray after wire brushing and it's been on for 5 years now.
Agree about Hammerite Smooth. And if you stipple it on with a piece of sponge it gives an interesting even effect (the sponge from an old kitchen scourer would do). And then I'd treat them to some nice wheel trims, so the paintwork is not the main feature. Need to consider in that case what contrast you want between paint colour and wheel trim colour.
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm

Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Thu May 30, 2019 9:08 am

jimmo62 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm I used this one - https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/dir ... th-finish/
Thanks for your replies and thoughts folks :D
I hadn't really thought about trims yet - that's something I will consider
jimmo62 - thanks for posting that link - that's the sort of option I was hoping for
I like the thought of a paint that will also act as a primer
Here's hoping it will cover the ground-in years & years worth of brake dust and general muck

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 30, 2019 10:43 am

Bongo Brain wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:08 am
jimmo62 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm I used this one - https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/dir ... th-finish/
Thanks for your replies and thoughts folks :D
I hadn't really thought about trims yet - that's something I will consider
jimmo62 - thanks for posting that link - that's the sort of option I was hoping for
I like the thought of a paint that will also act as a primer
Here's hoping it will cover the ground-in years & years worth of brake dust and general muck

Good preparation is what pays dividends obviously but hammerite covers v well and needs no undercoat/primer etc - i use it all the time on mine :-)
Bongo Brain
Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Brain » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:23 am

Update. Despite the damp weather, I managed to get my wheels done this weekend.
A good wire-brushing before painting did remove quite a bit more of the ground-in brake dust and general muck
But there was still quite a bit left on the surface, that even the wire brush, and several applications of wheel cleaner couldn't shift

No problems for the Hammerite though - it covered everything nicely. I ended up doing two coats, which I spread as thinly as I could.
Re the central Wheel hubs - I painted those with some White Hammerite I had left over from painting some railings. Not a complete contrast of colour / tone - but I think I prefer it to all over silver.

Thanks again for your replies & help here folks. I probably would have used something like Hammerite anyway - but wasn't aware of the newer version of the paint, and that you can now apply it straight over rust (not that there was any rust on the wheels)

Thanks again fellow Bongo people :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:12 am

Glad you got it sorted ok :-) =D>

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”