Wrapping the AFT

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Merlot man
Bongolier

Wrapping the AFT

Post by Merlot man » Mon May 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Hello all
I have a black over silver '95 bongo and am about to get the sills looked at and the silver sprayed over to make it one colour , black .
I was considering doing the same with the AFT but the sprayer has adviced not to as it uses alot of prep and paint , his advice is to get it wrapped instead . What are people's views on this and what style of wrap should I go for ?
Anyone with any experience of this would be great and if possible , pictures of wrapped ATF's would be really helpful :D
As always thank you all in advance as I'm sure I'll get lots of helpful replies =D>
Brian
MalcW
Bongonaut

Re: Wrapping the AFT

Post by MalcW » Tue May 23, 2017 12:26 pm

I don't know about wrapping an AFT, but if you go to Google Images and search for 'wrapped cars' you'll see hundreds of examples of what can be done.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Tue May 23, 2017 4:33 pm

There's a bloke round the corner from me who has a Freda with a Union Jack wrap on the AFT
still looks good and he's had it for nearly two years now
You could get anything / picture on it
But complete black bongos do look cool
They do Matt , satin and gloss black wrap aswell as black carbon fibre effect
I'm doing my car roof next weekend will let you now how it goes
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun May 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks for the reply gasy , I was thinking of the carbon fibre wrap alright but willing to change :D ,what I'm looking for really are good ideas
All ideas welcome !
Brian
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun May 28, 2017 5:23 pm

theres someone on here who does the bongo specific graphics, the 4wdrive stickers etc,ive not seen them on here for a while but i think they do the union jack roof center panels and jap sun graphics etc, they cover the center roof section, ive seen some that then do strips of vinyl all the way round the sides of the roof to fill in the visible parts as viewed from ground level.
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Mon May 29, 2017 2:14 am

Hi,

I thought about getting my Bongo AFT wrapped, but decided against it - the lifespan of wraps is limited, some more so than others. While I have no experience of having a wrapped vehicle I think the detrimental effects because the roof is in sunlight much longer than the sides could shorten its life.
Further, the roof is plastic rather than metal. A metal roof is a good conductor of heat, plastic is not so there is not the same amount of heat conduction into the bodywork and the AFT seal won't help.

Just my thoughts, not a proven fact.

I like the idea of a carbon fibre look, but remember dark colours absorb much more heat than lighter ones.

In the end I've decided to go with Rustoleum Combicolour in something close to Silent Silver and a roller, might get round to it in the autumn.

Peter

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”