LED Lighting

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Janner
Bongonaut

LED Lighting

Post by Janner » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:30 am

Hi folks, I've come to pick brains again!

I've looked here at various threads about LED lighting and I'm too simple to get it #-o

Basically I want to replace all internal lights with LEDs. What's the easiest way? What do I need?

I have a P reg 2.5td.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: LED Lighting

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:08 pm

For the small lights they are standard vehicle bulbs you can get LED versions from EBAY they come with a variety of connectors to suit the holder you want. For the fluorescent tubes there are two types the older straight tube for which you can get a LED replacement that simply plugs in, or for the "U" tube style you can fit a COB LED panel like this http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/repla ... cent_tube/
Whatever you have be aware that the light angles from an LED is totally different from the incandescent or fluorescent that it will be replacing, the internal reflectors have no function as the light only comes from the front face of the LED and there is little to none sideways light to light the roof itself hence it will look darker no matter what light output or colour temperature you go for.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 pm

So although LEDs are brighter and more efficient it may make the van darker overall? hmm ok, maybe I'll just try to get brighter regular bulbs.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Mine looks lots brighter throughout with leds.

I've got cob panels throughout. 2 in the front, one right at the back, one in the roof tent and one to replace the u shaped tube.

It is much, much brighter even with just the tube replacement on. The light seems to get bounced around well enough and the diffuser bounces some light at different angles.
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks Sotal. I've never had a vehicle that I can be so hands on with. We've just bought it so want to be as ready as we can for our first getaway. Bound to miss something though.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”