Grille Badge Removal

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

CheekyRich
Junior Bongonaut

Grille Badge Removal

Post by CheekyRich » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:40 pm

Hi

I've been trying to remove the grille badge to give the grille a respray but can't get it off.
It looks like it might be melted on. There are 2 small circular holes through which the badge has been affixed. There is also a large circle below but it's unclear if the badge is also fixed onto this.
I've tried scraping off the plastic on and around the 2 small areas and the large circle but the badge doesn't want to budge. Any tips?

I found this thread: http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... ge#p341858
but there seem to be 3 areas on the back not just the one...

I tried uploading a photo but keep getting the "file too large" message.

Any help appreciated
Cheers guys
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Grille Badge Removal

Post by Gasy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:34 am

Hi
Pics have to be loaded to something like photobucket then copy img from there and paste onto here

As for the badge I'm not much help have you tried gently heat if it's glued or a paint scrapper up the back
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:51 am

Would it not be possible to Mask the badge .?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:08 am

rita wrote:Would it not be possible to Mask the badge .?
I masked mine and it worked fine. A (Swann Morton) modellers knife and pointed sharp blade helped me trim the masking tape accurately. People have melted the plastic 'rivets' to get it off but i didn't fancy doing that
AndyS95
Bongonaut

Post by AndyS95 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:38 pm

I used thick cotton in the past to de-badge a Merc but that was just glue IIRC

You lever the cotton behind the badge and then work across in a sawing action
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:26 pm

I wold also like to re-paint my grill - what paint are you using, out of interest?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:09 pm

I just used a silver i liked the look of and didn't spray a lacquer over it as i wanted a metal look rather than a gloss look. Its lasted well regardless. Since the grille is plastic, best to use a suitable spray plastic grey (or white) primer to safeguard against plastic reacting with the silver spray.
CheekyRich
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CheekyRich » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:07 pm

Thanks for your replies guys.
Gasy wrote: As for the badge I'm not much help have you tried gently heat if it's glued or a paint scrapper up the back
I Haven't tried any heat. What would be the best source of heat? A flame at close quarters for short period of time? I've tried scraping the hard stuff off the back of the grille where the badge goes through but so far it's stuck fast. I'm wary of removing too much of the surface (some of it is getting closer to being flush) in case it can't be secured again.
Might have to go this route...
janie wrote:I wold also like to re-paint my grill - what paint are you using, out of interest?
I will use carplan colourmatch (or not! ;) ) paint...probably to match one of the existing van colours. I believe you have to use plastic primer first. I was thinking of lacquering it as well.
Last edited by CheekyRich on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CheekyRich
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CheekyRich » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:12 pm

Here is the picture (hope this works!)
https://postimg.org/image/bocgpbezx/
You can see where I've had a go at scraping away the melted plastic / hard glue material (not sure which it is) on the top 2 small circles.. but the badge remains held in fast. I don't want to apply too much pressure in case it (or the bumper) cracks.

I presume the big circle underneath is not part of the badge fixing so wouldn't have to be scraped at all?

Any tips?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:38 am

I think you have to melt those two small dots using a heat point like a soldering iron and prise it off while plastic still soft. But i wouldn't risk it unless you're skilled. I'd take Rita's advice (and mine) and mask it, using a small electrical screwdriver blade to tuck masking tape into recesses and a sharp modelling knife to trim it off accurately and, after spraying, to lift off the masking tape.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:59 pm

By the look of that pic
As has been said your going to have to get rid of them 2 plastic studs completely through the depth of the grill
At the moment looks like you have just taken the proud heads of
Stick a hot soldering iron or hot nail into them and wiggle it round and round to melt them out
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:54 pm

It is very easy to remove with a soldering iron, just heat up the pegs on the back whilst easing off the badge from the front. Then move to the other one.
To refit just do in reverse, put the badge on then melt the plastic to hold it in place.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:26 pm

If its the badge I'm thinking of, the original Mazda one not the new style. I removed mine when painting the grille but didn't worry about any damage to the badge itself as I was able to source a replacement badge of the new style in chromed plastic of the correct diameter off e-bay & glued that back in place of the old style. Lifted the look a bit & brought the badge up to date. Then bought bigger new style & stuck that on back tailgate so van has new style all round.
The one I bought for the front grille was for a flat surface, but it does need to be slightly curved to fit. However as it was plastic I just found a tube of the correct curve and used my heat gun & warmed it until it was pliable pulled some tape over it to hold its shape until cool. Job done.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
steveharris
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by steveharris » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:58 am

CheekyRich wrote:Thanks for your replies guys.
Gasy wrote: As for the badge I'm not much help have you tried gently heat if it's glued or a paint scrapper up the back
I Haven't tried any heat. What would be the best source of heat? A flame at close quarters for short period of time? I've tried scraping the hard stuff off the back of the grille where the badge goes through but so far it's stuck fast. I'm wary of removing too much of the surface (some of it is getting closer to being flush) in case it can't be secured again.
Might have to go this route...
janie wrote:I wold also like to re-paint my grill - what paint are you using, out of interest?
I will use carplan colourmatch (or not! ;) ) paint...probably to match one of the existing van colours. I believe you have to use plastic primer first. I was thinking of lacquering it as well.

To re-paint your grill, I would recommend this industrial paint with a special binder, it will last a lot longer than normal 2K car paint. Good luck with your project!

http://www.internationalpaintsuppliers. ... ial-paint/

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”