Last few jobs

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Scratch
Bongolier

Last few jobs

Post by Scratch » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:38 pm

Very happy with my 2L petrol Bongo, just passed it's second MOT with no issues. I have decided to stay unconverted as that suits us although I have taken the rear seats out at the moment for camping during the summer. I have a few small jobs that I need fixing and am looking to see how others have achieved this. I am not a DIY expert and would like to get somebody to do these. Do you think a good body shop / garage could do these?
Replace the dangly rear fog light - this is just getting on my nerves now.
Fix the temperature gauge. A couple of people have tried but it's still not working. I think it must need a new thermostat.
Replace the Japanese radio. I have chosen the Pioneer model I want but it will need connecting to the leisure battery and rear view camera.
Any advice , as always, welcome.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Last few jobs

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:52 pm

Replace the dangly rear fog light - this is just getting on my nerves now.
Most garages should be able to do that, its a common thing.
Fix the temperature gauge. A couple of people have tried but it's still not working. I think it must need a new thermostat.
No not a Thermostat, that controls the flow of the coolant around the system, its most likely that the connection to or the sensor itself that monitors the engine temperature to display on the gauge see here for the 2l its part 18-510;
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
Replace the Japanese radio. I have chosen the Pioneer model I want but it will need connecting to the leisure battery and rear view camera.
May not be possible to connect the camera, if its an original Japanese one then the plug is not compatible with modern systems and the display in the Pioneer may not display the same version of NTSC (each country has its own variations).
The normal method to connect the radio is to use an ISO plug adaptor from Mazda to the ISO standard, which most 3rd party radios use. Which adaptor depends on the year of the vehicle.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Fog light, pretty much anyone can do, easy.

Temp gauge, what is the problem, not moving at all/going up and down? Why do you think thermostat?

Radio, again easy enough but may not work with Japaneese reversing camera. For the amount of power a radio uses I wouldn't worry about plumbing it to the LB, but its not difficult.

Hope that helps a little.
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll get the foglight and radio sorted then. The temperature gauge doesn't move (stuck at lowest level) unless in very slow traffic for a long time. It then moves to a central position but drops down as soon as you get moving again. I have had it checked by a Bongo friendly garage a couple of times and the sensor has been changed but still no luck. Theonly thing they could then suggest was a new thermostat.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:30 pm

Ah the gauge works then !
Yes the thermostat, sounds like it has been removed often due to "problems" and its a quick cure :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks for that. Now it's been confirmed that it looks like I need a new thermostat I'll get it sorted :)
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:37 am

Pioneer stereo fitted. Installer tried but couldn't connect to factory fitted rear view camera.
Very please with DAB radio/CD/DVD/Bluetooth/IPhone/IPod etc. All work well. Small screen mounted aerial reception is great so needn't have worried.
Connected to starter rather that leisure battery but presume that this will be fine when watching a DVD in bed! :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:23 am

Sounds good. :D
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:12 pm

You've got a few options for the fog. You could get a hole cut in the bumper and mount one flush there, you could sacrifice a reverse light on the OSR and true it into a fog with a red bulb or when I got mine there was a small LED light mounted in the reflector at the bottom of my new style rear lights, search eBay for eagle eye LED marker lights.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:56 pm

Scratch wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'll get the foglight and radio sorted then. The temperature gauge doesn't move (stuck at lowest level) unless in very slow traffic for a long time. It then moves to a central position but drops down as soon as you get moving again. I have had it checked by a Bongo friendly garage a couple of times and the sensor has been changed but still no luck. Theonly thing they could then suggest was a new thermostat.
do you mean it doesn't rise off COLD? The fact it responds to small increases and decreases in temp makes me wonder if it is a modified gauge. If it rises to a couple of mm above cold when warm it could be a modified with 110 ohm which under load can easily indicate up to 12 or 1 o'clock
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:50 am

No it stays on cold with no movement all the time unless I am crawling along for a period of time. It then rises but as soon as I start moving again drops back to cold.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:59 am

Scratch wrote:No it stays on cold with no movement all the time unless I am crawling along for a period of time. It then rises but as soon as I start moving again drops back to cold.
Sounds like classic symptoms of a thermostat stuck open to me. I've diagnosed two of my previous cars similarly and a new thermostat fixed it.
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:09 am

I finally got the new thermostat fitted and the temperature gauge now works along with the heater (which I didn't realise wasn't working until it got cold)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Scratch wrote:I finally got the new thermostat fitted and the temperature gauge now works along with the heater (which I didn't realise wasn't working until it got cold)
Good job well done. Enjoy =D>
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Yep, well done. :)

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”