Change speakers

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

MagentaShift
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Change speakers

Post by MagentaShift » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:09 pm

DeandreM wrote:What are some good speakers that will fit?
I have just received some JBL Club 6520's which are shallow fit. I have tried in the front door pod and they look like they will easily fit. I will be fitting these this weekend along with some sound dampening so I will take some pictures and report back on how well they actually fitted and what the sound quality is like.
MagentaShift
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Change speakers

Post by MagentaShift » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:02 pm

OK, so after lots of research, looking at specs and measuring I purchased some JBL Club 6520's at a cost of around £50. I was after a set of front door speakers which would be simple to fit without much faf. They are not quite as highly rated as the JBL 628's which are no longer available, but they have a shallower fit and on paper should have fitted perfectly. One key thing is that the tweeter does not stick out past the speaker so there should be no need to cut the door card.

I am pleased to say that there was minimal faf involved and the whole process took around an hour to complete. Below is a picture of the JBL speaker side by side with the original one:

I had to cut the lip off the speaker pod which was easy with a good Stanley Knife. I then screwed the new speaker directly into the pod without using an adapter:

The speaker magnet protruded out the back of the pod slightly further than the original speaker so I had to use some 3mm spacers to re attached the pod to the door. Fortunately the door card re-attached without having to cut any of the original grill away:

As for the sound quality, they are significantly better than the original ones and produce a good all round sound with plenty of bass. I can double the volume of the originals without distortion. For the price point and easy of fitting, I couldn't ask for better. For completeness I am driving them from a Pioneer Double Din head unit.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”