Change speakers

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

jonnyred
Bongonaut

Change speakers

Post by jonnyred » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Just bought myself some nice new speakers to upgrade from stock, dont suppose anyone has a sheet for removing the front door panels or any guidance please ?

ta muchly
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, in midi side conversion 2002 LPG V6, solar panel
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Change speakers

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:38 pm

Factsheets in the Members area http://igmaynard.co.uk/download/speakers.pdf
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:31 pm

Cheers, i went for and found it surprisingly simple. It even went back together again after. Shame the speakers never fitted.
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, in midi side conversion 2002 LPG V6, solar panel
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:37 pm

So my next question on the same topic, has anyone found a decent set of 6 inch speakers to upgrade the front standard fitted ones. I have tried two sets today and neither fitted the adaptor / spacer, and both were too deep and hit the metal work. Looks like it will have to be a custom made spacer to make them fit unless anyone on here knows different ?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Genius, thanks for the reminder, just trawled the whole of google and didnt think to look at the end of my nose. As usual loads of great insight, although my wife has just agreed to me spending £500 on a professional fit if i want to. They said the fitting would only be 2 hours so £100 labour. 4 x 5x7 s and an underseat active bass speaker, although armed with what i know now that could be 2 x 6 in the front 2 x 6x9s in the back and the sub.

ill have a look for advice on fitting an amp as that might be a better option all round.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:19 am

you will really only gen 5 1/4 inch in existing door opening without a lot of cutting
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks, i tried some 5s against the existing mounts and they seemed too small hence the 6 inch comment. The guy at the audio fitters said he would install 5x7s so maybe ill let him have a go.
Also looking for advice from anyone with a midi side conversion on how the card might come off, especially as my external power from the hookup point comes in through the same card so might be tricky to take off.
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:15 pm

My old JBL's were 6" and shallow enough not to foul the metalwork but they are discontinued and they don't do a replacement. This is quite fortunate as I won't be buying JBL's again. On both fronts the outside rubber had split all the way around and one rear had lost base I assume an electrical breakdown.

I've replaced the rears with some JVC 6x8" which fit perfectly and some front 5.25" in-phase speakers. The fronts needed an MDF base ring to make them fit.

Overall it's a really decent sound but the way they are all mounted it's never going to be that great even with expensive speakers. Saying that as 3 of my speakers weren't working properly anything would sound better.

As for the sub which one are you going for? There's very little room under the Bongo seats.
mattandrews310
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mattandrews310 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Jonny, just bought these on Amazon for my front speakers. Haven't got round to fitting them yet but a reviewer says they're a perfect fit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps,

Matt
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:02 pm

5.25 component car speakers are what i used if front,they are jbl but i cannot find exact ones

needed a pair of 5.25 mdf rings to space,but look fine,mdf is behind panel

tweeters are in door pillar

my son made me a box from mdf,2 boxes actually,with the base joining them up,gap between amp sits in,fits under middle seat

and ive 2 big 8 inch fullrange,gives plenty of bass

as has been said the rear takes 6x8 not more normal 6x9,but i dont use them

for sure use an amp
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:39 am

Hi,

I'm using the original speakers, with a reasonable quality 4x50 head unit and what I found made quite a difference to sound quality was to stick some of the aluminium faced 3mm bitumen pads to the inside of the door and rear outer skins.

It also largely gets rid of that horrible "sounds just like a VW" clang when you close the doors, giving you more of a satisfying and expensive sounding "thud" and makes it a bit quieter while travelling.

Peter
jonnyred
Bongonaut

Post by jonnyred » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:26 pm

sorry i never ever posted back. Went for the pro fit out although i took it all apart myself and replaced it all to keep the costs down, Really wich i could have fitted bigger/ better fronts but door depth screwed me up. Still sound really nice, a Kicker 10 inch sub in the back under my pull out seats sounds really nice, Just need to sort out the thin ply on the seat as it can vibrate when some bassy tunes are playing. I did take pictures of everything i did but my phone died so all gone.
MagentaShift
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MagentaShift » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:23 pm

mattandrews310 wrote:Jonny, just bought these on Amazon for my front speakers. Haven't got round to fitting them yet but a reviewer says they're a perfect fit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps,

Matt
Hi Matt

Are you able to tell me if these adaptors actually fitted? I have been looking at them but could not find any other reference to them fitting online.

Thanks
Andrew
DeandreM
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by DeandreM » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 am

What are some good speakers that will fit?

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”