D r l

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

grey fellah
Bongonaut

D r l

Post by grey fellah » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:39 pm

02 tin top, has anyone adapted front fog lights to d r l''s . Thanks in advance for any info
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: D r l

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:35 pm

grey fellah wrote:02 tin top, has anyone adapted front fog lights to d r l''s . Thanks in advance for any info
I thought this was a post about Dr. I the legendary Jamaican rapper, until I read the content :lol:

What are d.r.l. s? :-k
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Would be easy enough to do though.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:36 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
grey fellah wrote:02 tin top, has anyone adapted front fog lights to d r l''s . Thanks in advance for any info
I thought this was a post about Dr. I the legendary Jamaican rapper, until I read the content :lol:

Daylight Running Lights, the LEDs fitted to modern cars. :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Bob wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:

Aha! Thank you Dr. Bob the legendary West Country rapper. :lol:
Gefail
Bongolier

Post by Gefail » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Hello,
I fitted a set of drls in the grille of our tintop. Full set £35 off Fleabay.
If you swap your fog bulbs for led versions you just need a drl control module (less than £10)
It connects to battery via fuse, a wire to dipped beam to dim them at night and option to flash the lamps in unison with the indicators.
Its voltage sensing so on when engine starts and off after a delay when engine stops. No problem with mot, just passed last week.
02-07-1999 TinTop 2WD Oil Guzzler with Hyper Seat :shock:
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:30 pm

I should bw fitting some this week, so i'll keep you posted. I don't have fogs, so i have bought some universal ones wirh an angel eye DRL. As mentioned, the loom thingy is also needed, but they are cheap, ao hopefully should be an easy fit.

This is what i have bought for the lights
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161790752624

And this is the wee loom
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152027172379

I am hopeful that i'll have it all fitted in a hour or so. Depends on how easily i can cut the holes in the bumper!
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:04 am

Does this mod need notifying to the insurance company?
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:31 am

Bob wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:

I thought it might be about expensive headphones.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:05 am

Regarding insurance, i can't see it being any different to fitting non original fogs. It's basically retrofit rather than a mod for performance or making it more desirable for theft.
I may mention it at insurance time, but as it is an import, with camper conversion, i'm not thinking that drl's will be a contributing factor to (already) high insurance.
grey fellah
Bongonaut

Post by grey fellah » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:14 pm

callum wrote:I should bw fitting some this week, so i'll keep you posted. I don't have fogs, so i have bought some universal ones wirh an angel eye DRL. As mentioned, the loom thingy is also needed, but they are cheap, ao hopefully should be an easy fit.

And this is the wee loom

I am hopeful that i'll have it all fitted in a hour or so. Depends on how easily i can cut the holes in the bumper!
hi, i sorted wiring some time ago. but lamps i used were rubbish, hoping 2 change lamps in fog lights & reconnect,wondered if anyone had done this, & wot they used, thanks 4 your replies. i'll keep the lights you are using in mind as another option, good luck on the hole cutting ! thanks ray
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:43 pm

grey fellah wrote:
callum wrote:I should bw fitting some this week, so i'll keep you posted. I don't have fogs, so i have bought some universal ones wirh an angel eye DRL. As mentioned, the loom thingy is also needed, but they are cheap, ao hopefully should be an easy fit.

And this is the wee loom

hi, i sorted wiring some time ago. but lamps i used were rubbish, hoping 2 change lamps in fog lights & reconnect,wondered if anyone had done this, & wot they used, thanks 4 your replies. i'll keep the lights you are using in mind as another option, good luck on the hole cutting ! thanks ray
Funny enough. I just got this loom that Callum found. The plan is to use the front factory fogs on my 02 plate as DRLs that will turn off with headlight use. But switched on for the intended foglight use with the dipped beam..?! A bit like my wife's Nissan Note..
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:49 am

Hi
Please be aware that you must have properly "E" marked DRLs if you intend to use them as such in any country requiring them. I believe in some countries require that they should have a fitting certificate of compliance if used as DRLs. The proper DRLs are extraordinarily bright in comparison with most LED offerings. They should also dim when lights come on, AND you should only run one set of marker lights, DRLs and not with sidelights as well.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:46 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Please be aware that you must have properly "E" marked DRLs if you intend to use them as such in any country requiring them. I believe in some countries require that they should have a fitting certificate of compliance if used as DRLs. The proper DRLs are extraordinarily bright in comparison with most LED offerings. They should also dim when lights come on, AND you should only run one set of marker lights, DRLs and not with sidelights as well.
Cheers
Helen
Hi Hellen,

That's a fair point about using aftermarket DRLs abroad. (Outside the UK.)

I know in Poland one was legally required to drive with the heads lights on by day.. I always find if in doubt? (On the continent.) Drive it like an old school Volvo! (The same law probably applied in Scandinavia too?)
... Especially in a big black brick. :D
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:55 pm

I've just swapped my original fogs for these
Don't think there drl as have halogen bulbs in
But we're only a £1 a pair from halfords

Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”