Removing a front door panel

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

richlizard
Bongolier

Re: Removing a front door panel

Post by richlizard » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:36 am

Thanks again Geoff.

To be honest, I am struggling with the wiring diagrams having not seen one before.

But a bigger struggle is where to put this lump of a motor. It seems no matter where I locate it, the window is going to smash into it. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to access the existing lock bar. I presume I need to drill holes in the metal and screw the motor to it? So I need to get it in the right place and drilling is a little blind.

I will get there. It may not be today (it won't be). It may not be tomorrow (it won't be). But I will get there (maybe later in the week).

Anyone know the best place to buy new doors? :lol:
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Hey Geoff... or any other clever person... HEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP :D

So today I took a dive in. This is how it went.

The items I have purchased I would say are identical to those shown here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx1t1ZOyP-E

I have lots of cables coming out the remote unit. Going by the instructions, I connected (spliced into) cables as follows.

On the doorlock that is mounted on the inside of the door:
I spliced in my red cable to the 'blue' on the doorlock.
I screwed my yellow and yellow/black cables into a block and used one piece of yellow cable on the other end to splice into the 'blue' on the doorlock.

On the window bundle that is mounted inside the car door:
I spliced the black cable into the 'black' on the window lock.
I screwed my orange and orange/black cables into a block and used one piece of orange cable on the other end to splice into the 'black' on the window block.

At this point, I can activate the remote and get the expected click and double-click for the remote unit.

But at this point, I am struggling to get power to the solenoid motor.

I have not only measure at the ends of the white and white/black for voltage and got zero, but I have attached the those white cables to my solenoid motor cables and nothing happens, just the clicking to show the remote unit is working.

I have tested the solenoid motor by putting the ends (bulleted) on my vehicle battery and it shoots in and out as it should. So no issues there.

Can anyone describe where I might be going wrong or what I can test to get me my power to the motor?

I hope to be back on it in the morning so any help would be really appreciated.
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:40 pm

Aye up,
For help with how to fit the actuator, google "installing an actuator for remote mazda bongo", it will throw up a link to the " other site" where someone has kindly written up how they did it in the form of a pdf with pictures.
I used it and it worked a treat.
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:38 am

callum wrote:Aye up,
For help with how to fit the actuator, google "installing an actuator for remote mazda bongo", it will throw up a link to the " other site" where someone has kindly written up how they did it in the form of a pdf with pictures.
Christ. Thanks Callum (Cally).

I had googled and searched both forums before venturing out into the grown up world outside. I could find nothing but the video I linked to above. I even posted a thread here asking just how to take the door panel off. It is all there!

I will take another bash later.

Thanks again.
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:55 am

callum wrote:Aye up,
Oh dear. I have just had a read through.

It seems the bits I am struggling with are the bits not covered.

This document doesn't actually show how to fit the remote control (what wires go where) but just how to fit the actuator in the door (no doubt a problem I would encounter later but...).

It also states that you need to feed two extra wires from the actuator through the door and into... well it doesn't actually say. It just says feed them through a grommet and pillar... but not sure what they are connected to!

Do you yourself have the same remote assembly as I have, Callum? Any help would be appreciated. :)
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:42 pm

hi,

Here is a link to the one i bought, it is a simple one with not too many wires and a wiring diagram in the listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-REM ... xyQfJThwak

Now, i ran a new power wire through the door electrics (where the loom goes through for all electrics into the door). Had i looked into it further, i would've known that i could have used the original signal wire already in the door, as has been suggested to you by Geoff. The basic wiring of mine is a power feed and earth going into the "box", the rest are outputs going into the master actuator and then 2 other wires that are not used. My box and actuator are both situated in the door.

I don't know what more i can say about your kit, if it came with a wiring diagram then you should easily be able to do a test run on a battery of it all wired together. I don't have all the extra gubbins of wiring indicators in or alarms etc and that suited me happily.

The only thing i did do was wire the wing mirrors into it so that they auto open/close when you lock/unlock the car.

NOTE
Having just looked at your actuator, did your kit come with 4? If so, it may have 3 slaves and 1 master. The picture you have is the same as my slave ones (which are not needed for the Bongo), it only has 2 wires. My master (as per the ebay link) has 5 wires.
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi Callum, thanks again.

My actuator has just two wires. I don't plan on running anything else into it or from it. It seems to work when I put the ends on a battery. My problem seems to be getting power to it.

Are you saying that if I take my 'box' and 'motor', I just need to put all my +ves and all my -ves on to the battery terminal to test it? It would save me going through a whole load of splices and cable if I could test it out of position.

The video link I put up earlier seems to show him testing it on some power supply with different terminals for different cables.
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi,
Did you look at the ebay link i posted? Mine is very simple.
If yours has a wiring diagram with it, then post it up and we can try and advise further. Without it, i can't really help. If you know which wires do what, according to the kit manufacturer, then it will be relatively simple.

As seen on the link i posted, my "box" only needs a power wire and an earth. Then the three wires that go to the actuator. That's all i need to get mine to work. The key to it ia knowing what each of the wires do, if not needed, bundle together and pretend they don't exist.
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Callum.

Here are my instructions. I am assuming my particular scenario is number 2, bottom left.

Will be back on the case tomorrow.

callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:56 pm

well, it's certainly a bit more confusing than my one!

To be honest, i am not certain and i don't want to cause an issue with your module,
but... if i was doing it i would consider joining
yellows together and connecting to + battery terminal.
Orange's together and connecting to battery - terminal
Whites to either blue or green on the actuator

That looks to my eye the best option, but please satisfy yourself that it is ok as i don't want to break your module!

That does look like what you have done, i just wonder if the power sources you are putting to the module are correct. So if you go back to basics by testing it on a battery directly, it will rule that out.

Geoff is your electrics genius though, and he may just give a great and sensible remedy!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:22 pm

It all sounds correct, given that the relays are clicking you have power correct, I can only suggest you meter the connections to the door motor itself to ensure continuity.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks guys. Will report back in tomorrow.

I have definitely made errors along the way, but my head is clear to go in tomorrow and get it sorted.
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:33 pm

I am absolutely stunned.

I have never attempted anything like this before but was determined to do it and with the help of you guys (couldn't have done it otherwise), this is how it ended...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUp248G ... e=youtu.be

I feel like a brain surgeon!! :D =D>
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:23 pm

Hey! Well done! That's a great outcome! Did you find out what you had done wrong the first time?
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:28 am

callum wrote:Hey! Well done! That's a great outcome! Did you find out what you had done wrong the first time?

Along the way I would guess I did loads wrong. But not attaching the yellow and orange wires wouldn't have helped.

So chuffed with it, thanks again.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”