Removing a front door panel

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

richlizard
Bongolier

Removing a front door panel

Post by richlizard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi all.

Is there a thread (my search failed) or video/factsheet somewhere that explains how to remove the front door panels?

I am going to attempt to fit remote central locking but don't know where to start with removing the door panel.

I know there is a door panel removal factsheet, but that only seems to deal with the rear door.

Thanks
Gefail
Bongolier

Re: Removing a front door panel

Post by Gefail » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:30 pm

Hello,
From memory, there's the screw in the door release handle, two screws under grey caps near hinges. Then prise the card off from bottom lifting over handle and lifts off lip at window.
02-07-1999 TinTop 2WD Oil Guzzler with Hyper Seat :shock:
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Gefail wrote:Hello,
From memory, there's the screw in the door release handle, two screws under grey caps near hinges. Then prise the card off from bottom lifting over handle and lifts off lip at window.
Thanks for the reply. I had done all the screws you mentioned, but everything was still so secure I didn't want to risk breaking anything by forcing it. There was also a screw inside the little 'something' holder but again the holder didn't come out.

So it is really just a case of brute force?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:01 pm

There's a screw in the recess where the door release handle is but only remove the screw, thread the handle through the door card as you remove it. The screw in the 'something holder' needs to come out but only the screw. Then there are a mixture of screws & poppers around the perimeter. The top is kind of perched on a lip so you need to lift it up slightly too. There's not much to remove really.
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Muzorewa wrote:There's a screw in the recess where the door release handle is but only remove the screw, thread the handle through the door card as you remove it. The screw in the 'something holder' needs to come out but only the screw. Then there are a mixture of screws & poppers around the perimeter. The top is kind of perched on a lip so you need to lift it up slightly too. There's not much to remove really.
Thanks for that. I am going in... first thing in the morning.

Then be prepared to be bombarded with 'what wire goes where'. Presumably, if I have central locking then there is a live feed to connect the locks that I can feed into with my remote thing?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:23 pm

You don't connect electrically at all! You mount a single door motor to operate the latch, and drive that one motor from the remote Fob receiver, the drivers door lock being operated drives the existing switch to release all the other doors.
You can pickup +12 volts unswitched and earth to drive the receiver from within the door;
The Blue/Red wire is +12v unswitched on the K2-01 connector

and Black is earth from the K1-01 connector;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:05 pm

I think that is what I mean Geoff.

But not sure what you mean nothing electrical? How does my actuator thingamajig work then? But then you go on to say powered by... so I guess we mean the same thing.

And yes, I know the driver's lock activates all others which is why I was asking about there being a live connection somewhere.

I will look at those drawings to see if I can make sense from it when back on PC. On small laptop now.

Appreciate the advice. Just confused why you say no electrical connection... then go on to explain how to connect electrics lol.
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:07 pm

If you could explain what a K1 and K2 connector is that would be great. :oops:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:36 pm

The only electrical connection is for power, the signal to control the central locking is purely mechanical.
The K1 and K2 connectors are the plugs and sockets are within the door and terminate the wiring looms, if you click the image it shows you the circuit and the plug details at the bottom of the page, move on to the next page and there are diagrams showing the locations of the connectors. Hence you can find the right wires to tap into for the power.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:23 pm

I am going to try get the panel off now Geoff.

I was just a little confused you saying there was no electrical connection at all... then giving me electric wiring diagrams.

What about the turning lights too? They need to flash right?
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:53 pm

richlizard wrote: What about the turning lights too? They need to flash right?
Only if you want them to flash, you dont need to connect that bit if you dont want to.
Top tip when removing & working inside the door cavity, wear disposable gloves & clothes you dont mind getting dirty. The plastic membrane under the panel is stuck on with horrible black sticky stuff that is a nightmare to wash off skin & clothes. It gets everywhere.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:55 pm

nth wrote:
Only if you want them to flash, you dont need to connect that bit if you dont want to.
Top tip when removing & working inside the door cavity, wear disposable gloves & clothes you dont mind getting dirty. The plastic membrane under the panel is stuck on with horrible black sticky stuff that is a nightmare to wash off skin & clothes. It gets everywhere.
Cheers for the tip. Is it much more bother to get the indicators to flash? If so, I won't do it. But if easy, it makes sense.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:44 pm

richlizard wrote:
nth wrote:
Cheers for the tip. Is it much more bother to get the indicators to flash? If so, I won't do it. But if easy, it makes sense.
looks like the solution as described by g8dhe is contained within the door. You'd need to cable into the vehicle to pick up the indicators. Wiring behind the bulkhead is reasonably accessible so not difficult difficult but a chunk more work.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
richlizard
Bongolier

Post by richlizard » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:59 pm

Ok decided to give up on the lights then.

But... I... err...

Well I managed to get the panel off. I was expecting to see the door lock at the top with some kind of electronic unit under it to control the other locks.

But it seems to be one long bar to some hidden space at the bottom of the door.

Here is my little motor thing that I assume will eventually push this lock up and down? Somehow? Somewhere?

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:28 pm

The central locking module already fitted in the Bongo is behind the passenger glove box, there are just a couple of wires from the switch in the door going to it, see the first diagram.

In your remote door kit you should have the door motor (as in picture), a receiver and hopefully a couple of remote fobs!
You need to fit the door motor and a mechanical link to pull down the door lock, and then install the receiver and connect it to the new door motor and the two power connections I mentioned above. Yes trying to pick up the indicator lights for signalling that it has worked is a pain as you would need to add additional wires to the door loom.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”