2 Din Radio

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

sotal
Supreme Being

Re: 2 Din Radio

Post by sotal » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:04 am

mikeonb4c wrote: You beat me to it on the caveats. Watch out for depth fitting whatever you do. I think a more heads up location is better for satnav reading plus i love the power of google maps / android over conventional satnav (provided there is data connection!). I find touching anything accurately while driving can be tricky - how do others find it?
Google Maps now allows you to download you local area (My local area is 85MB) - so you then don't need to rely so much on your data connection. It does say it will expire after 29 days though and you have to re-download. You can also search for other areas to download.

Personally I use Copilot which is offline too. Works well for what I need.

Depth wise I was pleasantly surprised that the JVC stereo I purchased fitted nicely as I was a bit worried. The depth was listed as 182mm. Luckily there were no cables coming out in the middle but it slotted in no problem at all.
TonyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by TonyBongo » Sun May 15, 2016 9:17 am

Anyone fitted one of these or similar? Any feedback?

Might put rear view cam in the pop top to watch kids when they are asleep.

Pumpkin 6.95 inch Headunit Android 4.4 Double Din In Dash Capacitive HD Multi-touch Screen Car DVD Player Stereo GPS Navigation Multimedia system AM/FM Radio Support Steering Wheel Control / Bluetooth/ SD / USB / ipod / AV-IN / OBD2 / 3G / Wifi / DVR / 1080P (Car Stereo with GPS)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OB90SOY/ ... oxbZFM273R
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:50 am

I've got that exact unit arriving today, not sure when I'll fit it but I'll certainly post about it on this thread if that helps.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
TonyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by TonyBongo » Tue May 17, 2016 12:31 pm

Thanks. Will be interesting to hear how you get on - in particular whether anything obstructs fitting the unit and the cables that connect to it.

Cheers

Tony
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:27 am

And it's going back. I bought a model that claimed to be DAB but clearly wasn't, it still needed an add in box for dab. I also want to use my ipod classic with it and that didn't work either.

I'm in a quandary now, do I try another Android Chinese head unit. Splash out for a pioneer AVIC headunit or just go for a decent headunit for music and use my phone for sat nav.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
TonyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by TonyBongo » Wed May 18, 2016 6:37 am

The options for that model on Amazon seem to be GPS or DAB, but not both.

I can live without DAB as FM suffices. Can always use internet radio if want digital - subject to signal.
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:07 am

They all have GPS built in. It looks like the model I need still needs an add on box for DAB which is NOT made clear on the amazon listing.

I'm looking at much more expensive Clarion and Pioneer units now, the Clarion Nx504 or Pioneer F970
2002 V6 Aero AFT
Bozzer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bozzer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Simon Jones wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:10 pm Your current stereo will be a standard double DIN unit so there should be no problems finding one to fit. It's fairly simple to replace but be aware there are two types of ISO adapter leads depending on what year your van is. Some point just before 2002 they changed to this type shown at the top of the picture. The second loom below that is the one that tends to come with the head unit (in this case for a Pioneer).

Hi
Just bought my Bongo (unconverted as yet) last week and joined the forum today, so not yet very knowledgeable about Bongo stuff. I am looking to replace the 2 DIN radio unit currently in the dashboard, which seems to be a Radio/DVD/CD/Sat Nav/Mini Disc Player etc and I think is possibly original equipment, but was certainly fitted in Japan. Having examined it, it is clearly not in working order, so I need to replace it. Mine is a 2002 model, and I saw your comment above about there being a different ISO adapter lead for the 2002 model and mentioning a picture, but I could not find the picture. I wonder if you would be so kind as to send either the picture or a link in reply to this post so that I can ensure I buy the correct adapter.
Many thanks.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:25 pm

Hello.
I have recently replaced my stereo with a ATOTO 7"HD Touchscreen 2Din Android Car Navigation Stereo. I bought it on Amazon but I see ebay also sell them. It runs on android 4.4 so if you have a android phone you will be very familiar with using it. Being android based you can download Google maps. It comes with a built in radio but no cd drive although you can fit a micro sd card which I have done with 900 songs downloaded too. It's not going to wow you but it's perfectly capable. It's a touch screen and either connects to wifi or your mobile hotpot.
Installation was simply plug in and play for me as the plug on the unit fitted my plug on the bongo wiring loom. I did buy a metal mounting surround which fitted the hole in the dash first and the stereo then slipped into this making a nice snug fit.
One great feature is the addition of an available dash cam which plugs into one of the stereos usb leads and instantly displays the footage on the 7 inch screen.
I looked at several stereos before buying, my criteria was built in GPS ( Google maps) the ability to either Bluetooth music from my phone or directly download, answer calls and install favourite apps if required. This does all at a fraction of the cost of other stereos able to do such.
Bozzer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bozzer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:17 am

Thanks for your reply Roy, I have just ordered a single DIN Pure DAB+ radio online as my main criteria was a good quality radio, and after reading several reviews, this seemed to fit the bill. I think I have managed (after a great deal of searching) to locate the correct ISO adapter for the 2002 Bongo. All I need to do now is source a double to single DIN adapter plate, or a single DIN cubby hole to fill the gap under the radio. Any ideas on this from anyone would be welcome.
Many thanks
Roy (yes, I'm a Roy also!) :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:23 pm

Bozzer wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:17 am Thanks for your reply Roy, I have just ordered a single DIN Pure DAB+ radio online as my main criteria was a good quality radio, and after reading several reviews, this seemed to fit the bill. I think I have managed (after a great deal of searching) to locate the correct ISO adapter for the 2002 Bongo. All I need to do now is source a double to single DIN adapter plate, or a single DIN cubby hole to fill the gap under the radio. Any ideas on this from anyone would be welcome.
Many thanks
Roy (yes, I'm a Roy also!) :)
Yes i debated also. Double din looks great and assuming all features work well great use of the space. But i liked my bmw clock and cubby hole so went for a nice Pioneer single din with bluetooth and phone instead and love it.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:41 pm

You are welcome. My 2001 bongo came with the tray under the single DIN stereo. If you like I can post the actual measurements.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi Mike
I can appreciate the need for a clock, the stereo I have does come with one when turned into standby mode but it's not going to win any awards for style.
My other car has a internal/external temperature gauge which I missed in the Bongo. I got round this with one from Lidl which has a sensor on a wire for external temperatures.
With it velcro to the underside of the dash it gives me both internal and external temperature, with an ice warning too. The external wire was plenty long enough to run through the dash into the engine bay and down to a grill within the bumper. Works a treat. Ironically it has a watch function within it too.
Bozzer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bozzer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi Roy
Yes, the actual measurements would be very helpful, if you could, I would appreciate it.
Many thanks
Roy
Bozzer
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bozzer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:09 pm

I agree Mike, I didn't want the radio to dominate the dashboard, which a double DIN one would have, I just wanted it to sound good, and it's also useful to have the extra storage for bits and bobs.
Roy

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”